.rar files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PokerGuy, Oct 15, 2010.

1. PokerGuy macrumors member

How would I go about watching a .rar video using Quicktime? Or is there another program I should use?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....rar is a compressed file (like zip) so you don't watch a rar video, you unrar the archive and then use the player you prefer....look for UnrarX or Stuffit Expander, they'll do the job....oh yeah!

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

.rar is not a video format. It is an archive format that is popular with USNET newsgroups and file sharing sites. There are many MacOS X utilities that will extract your video from the .rar archive. Stuffit Expander and The Unarchiver are just two.

As for playing your video: With Perian and Flip4Mac QuickTime codecs installed, you can play darned near everything.

4. Tyler76 macrumors member

Tyler76

quicktime is a very old video player, and the .rar file is not a video format so you have to unrar first. :)

5. PokerGuy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys - tried Stuffit and it works perfectly. I had no idea that rar wasnt a video format - live and learn... :)

6. HongKongPhooey macrumors newbie

I have .zip and .rar files in Winterboard after installing themes from Iconharvester. How do I access them? I've tried DiskAid, iFile, and openSSH/winSCP and all of these methods still don't show said compressed files. Anyone? Please help! TIA

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried any of the mentioned software titles yet - UnRar X, The Unarchiver, Stuffit Expander - or do they not work in your situation?

8. HongKongPhooey macrumors newbie

No. The files are on my iPhone, not my Mac.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How did you get the .rar files on the phone? Is it jailbroken?

Anyway, I don't know of such software for iOS, maybe it would be easier to get those files onto your Mac OS X or Windows or Linux computer and use the respective applications to decompress those files and get the resulting files onto your phone again. Or don't you have access to a working computer? OS does not really matter, as the ones I mentioned have the ability and the applications to handle those files.

Btw: "How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006

10. HongKongPhooey macrumors newbie

Hey Spinner, I noticed the .rar and .zip files after installing a few themes via Iconharvester. And yes, I have a MacBook Pro. I've tried all the aforementioned methods and even most recently, PhoneDisk, but still no luck seeing any of these files in private/var/stash/themes.