RAR/ZIP file manager like WinRAR

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pooprscooper, Oct 8, 2008.

1. pooprscooper macrumors regular

One of the things I miss about windows is the app called WinRAR which handles compressed archives better than Springy,UnrarX,MacHatcha,Rar Expander,The Unarchiver and Stuffit.

If you have 10 archive files split up and start from the beggining file .001 for example and file .004 is corrupt, instead of just throwing up an error without any details of which file is corrupt, it will tell you which specific archive file is damaged.

I need an app that can tell me which specific archive file is corrupt instead of just saying something like "cannot open archive" or "invalid archive".

I appreciate your help.

2. macffooky macrumors regular

You could try AJoiner but I can't remember if it will indicate exactly what you want. I'm much more used to such sets coming with PAR2 files or an SFV. For the former UnrarX or MacPar Deluxe will do the job and Checksum+ will do the MD5/SFV thing.

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

via ports you can install unrar.

then in terminal doing "unrar x file.rar"

it will tell you which one is corrupt.

wait, are you sure unrarX doesn't tell you which one is corrupt?

4. macffooky macrumors regular

The OP is talking about files split in Windows with a program called HJSplit, not RAR files. The HJSplit type are the ones to be joined with Split&Concat, MacHacha, AJoiner. RAR archives are a much better format and, as you say, any utility for decoding them can report precisely which if any are damaged.

5. pooprscooper thread starter macrumors regular

As suggested by a user on another forum it seems BetterZip is the only application I've found so far that can display this information without sfv files.

This is not just files that have been split up with Split&Contact, HJSplit etc. I'm also talking about .rar files: .rar, 01.rar, 02.rar 03.rar etc.

Yes, UnrarX doesn't give any information about which particular file is corrupt.

6. macffooky macrumors regular

UnRarX will indicate which particular RAR file is corrupted but you need to scroll up the output

[​IMG]

7. Habusho macrumors 6502

Two thumbs up for UnRarx. It sucks to de-compress an 8GB movie and have a corrupt file where the program doesn't tell you which one is corrupt. That what 7-zip on PC does, it's annoying as hell.

8. macffooky macrumors regular

I'm not sure I understand. If you don't have any PAR2 files to repair damaged archives...

9. Habusho macrumors 6502

If the movie is made up of 50 Rar files, it will tell you which of those 50 is corrupt. 7-zip doesn't do that on windows.

10. pooprscooper thread starter macrumors regular

A movie licensed by GPL right? :p Thanks, I didn't try scrolling up in UnrarX.

11. macffooky macrumors regular

What I meant was that (I'm going to stick my neck out and say) an 8GB movie made up of 50MB RAR files is very likely to be a "scene" x264/AAC MKV file downloaded from Usenet which would very likely have a healthy helping of PAR2 files with it. Without PAR2 files, which would verify the RARs anyway, I don't see the value in knowing which RARs are corrupted as you can't repair them.