Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
It's insane how 8GB used to be a storage option.. it's a RAM option nowadays :)
I remember it seeming to me like 8GB was an insanely large storage option for a phone, as my first computer hard drive was a 105MB (yes, MB) Quantum SCSI drive, which seemed huge at that time, as it was a slim 3.5” drive and I had been selling 20MB and 40MB 5.25” drives just a year prior. Now we have Terabyte microSD cards, which makes me wonder just how amazed my younger self would be with current tech, and how amazed my current self will be in the next 20 years.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
I remember it seeming to me like 8GB was an insanely large storage option for a phone, as my first computer hard drive was a 105MB (yes, MB) Quantum SCSI drive, which seemed huge at that time, as it was a slim 3.5” drive and I had been selling 20MB and 40MB 5.25” drives just a year prior. Now we have Terabyte microSD cards, which makes me wonder just how amazed my younger self would be with current tech, and how amazed my current self will be in the next 20 years.
Yeah that was indeed huge storage for all of us back in the day. 8GB back then felt like 1TB today 😅
It’s insane how far the technology has come.

Last edited:

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
Under three dollars?? I don't think Apple stock was ever below $13 and I believe that was in December 1997.
I recall the low was around $13 in July 1997 prior to the Aug MacWorld conference where Jobs announced Apple had dropped the lawsuits against Microsoft and Gates announced Microsoft was investing in Apple and guaranteeing Office would be available for it (and I seem to recall Internet Explorer coincidentally being installed on all new Macs). It shot up a lot that day, but then it dropped again by December, which I had forgotten, so I'm not sure if it was worse than July, as it is hard to tell because all the historical stock price lists I can find are split adjusted and, as the stock has split 112 ways (!) since then, the .11 lows I am seeing are rounded too much to be an accurate "at time" price when multiplied by 112.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.