Rare Apple-1 Headed to Auction in September

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The latest Apple-related auction will kick off on September 25, offering bidders the chance to get their hands on a rare Apple-1 computer. On sale by RR Auction, the Apple-1 is fully operational and one of around 70 Apple-1 computers that remain of the first 200 built by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak in 1976.

Executive vice president at RR Auction, Bobby Livingston, says that the Apple-1 originates from a person who purchased it at The Byte Shop, the store where Jobs and Wozniak originally sold the computers for $666.66. The owner learned BASIC on the computer, wrote small programs, and decided to hold onto the Apple-1 after it became outdated, "realizing it could one day be a piece of computing history." He then tried to sell the Apple-1 to Wozniak in 1982 for $10,000, which "went unanswered."

[​IMG]

The new auction will start at $50,000, and is estimated to end between $300,000 and $400,000.
    Apple-1 computers have been up for auction a few times in the past few years, and the record auction price for an Apple-1 was established in 2016 when one of the computers sold for $815,000. That computer was the "Celebration" Apple-1 and was very rare due to its blank "green" PCB board that was never sold to the public and was not a part of a known production run. Slightly more common, publicly-sold units have recently sold for $130,000.

Additionally, the auction is being promoted with a unique digital "DNA" scan, performed by Invaluable with technology built by Artmyn. This technology scans artwork and objects like the Apple-1, capturing "tens of thousands of photographs" using various light sources and spectrums, including UV lights. The scan generates a "5D interactive file" and an immersive video that lets owners, auction houses, consignors, and buyers see greatly detailed angles, views, and textures for the scanned objects.
    The video for the Apple-1 can be seen on Vimeo.
    The auction for the Apple-1 will take place at 1 p.m. on September 25, 2018 at WeWorks in Boston.

Article Link: Rare Apple-1 Headed to Auction in September

2. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Anyone know why the blank green PCB version got called the "Celebration" model?

3. Azeroth1 macrumors regular

Built by Wozniak. {Period}

Give the great and powerful Woz his due and proper.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Designed by Wozniak. Maybe Jobs took part in building this.

Kinda like “Designed by Apple in California”, but built in China by an anonymous army of workers.

5. klunernet macrumors member

klunernet

With all due respect to the great Woz, Jobs did actually build some of these. And was involved in financing the production just as Woz was.

6. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

What's with the weird fake version of "Thus Spake Zarathustra"? The music is public domain, so why record some weird bastard version of it?

7. vartanarsen macrumors 6502a

Does this run iMessage and Facetime?

8. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

The first true "Pro" machine Apple made. These days you can't even solder in your own capacitors. Thanks, Tim.

9. thenewyorkgod macrumors member

Shocking that 70 out of 200 remain, considering that only in the last few years did it become obvious how valuable these would be.

10. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

11. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

I wonder how many of the other 130 owners realize the expensive mistake they made in not hanging on to their "old" computer.

The first Apple II we got (purchased used), when I was a teenager, had a 3-digit serial number. Was sold off to the neighbors when we moved up to a //e. I'm sad that I didn't keep it around (just for nostalgia, not for speculation).

This one, up for auction, has a seriously weird keyboard and monitor - they both look like they were scavenged from other devices. I wonder if the monitor came out of an old television camera perhaps? And I don't recall ever seeing a keyboard with a 2-key-wide space bar.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

And estimated to end at $300,000 to $400,000.”

Those are _insane_ numbers for a circa 1976 Apple 1, but it shows the heritage behind the Apple 1 and how it evolved into something no one else could have envisioned in this company today. Interesting back history that someone will appreciate this time-piece.

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I wish Apple still sold 1980s hardware on their website instead of selling 2013/2014 hardware.

14. MadDawg2020 macrumors member

Does the Auction price include the vintage iPod attached to the Apple 1?

15. theluggage macrumors 68040

Now, there's a keyboard that won't be disabled by a grain of dust... Ah, they had proper keyboards then - any more travel and they'd have needed a passport.

I was wondering that (and if the music was still copyright their version is a such a blatant ripoff that I doubt they'd be in the clear) - all I can guess is that they made it sound different so they wouldn't get accused of using somebody else's copyrighted recording of the original...

Silly - it just sounds tacky because its "uncanny valley" close to the original.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 23, 2018 ---
    I assume that its there in place of the obligatory cassette tape recorder for storing programs.

Yes folks, its an Apple 1 with 4GB of solid state storage! Nobody would put up with spinning rust in a $300k computer!

16. joeblough macrumors regular

what's with the wrinkles? is that the soldermask separating from the board under the traces? seems weirdly organic.

17. MartyvH macrumors regular

MartyvH

They thought, as did many at the time, that the best was yet to come and future advancement would devalue devices like this and leave them in the dust. There was tremendous optimism in that era. It was unthinkable that there would be such interest and value in such computers in 2018.

But the list of those who predicted the current extent of Apple's success is very, very short.

18. Wanted797 macrumors 6502

Wanted797

They even put them in cases now to make upgrades harder!

19. theluggage macrumors 68040

...and, of course there are 101 other early personal computers from the same era for which that was absolutely true. Things like this are only valuable because everybody else threw them away - and the only reason that Apple 1s are so obscenely valuable today is because of Apple's post-iPod success in the 21st century.

Back ~1980 I remember having a book* that listed all of the personal/micro computers available at the time - there were dozens. ISTR the Apple 1 was mildly significant in that it was (one of?) the first to include video output and a keyboard interface on the same board, otherwise the MITS Altair probably has the better claim of being "the first PC".

(* I don't even have the ruddy book any more! I think "The Personal Computer Book" by Robin Bradbeer is the one I'm thinking of...)

20. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

adrianlondon

I have one.

I put Mojave on it and it runs very slow. It's planned obsolescence.

21. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I know, what a joke. I should have the PRO option to craft my own wooden case for it.

22. Killa Aaron, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018

Killa Aaron macrumors 6502

Killa Aaron

I understand and know the history behind this but spending a large sum of money on old tech just to look at it in your house isn't a good investment unless you're a museum curator.

23. flygbuss macrumors regular

flygbuss

24. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I can't even with that knockoff Strauss in the promotional video
    Has Samsung gotten into score composition now?

25. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

It's a collectible. It's only value is intrinsic. Oftentimes the people bidding on stuff like this don't really care about it. It's an investment and curiosity to display. Those just looking for an investment drive up the cost for actual collectors who love it. In the bet that those collectors will pay more for it in the future.

Why spend a few million on a Picasso? You can hire an exceptionally talented artist to reproduce a copy in exquisite detail for a couple thousand.

Why buy a signed Babe Ruth homerun baseball? The sporting good store sells a pack of new baseballs for a tiny fraction of the cost. They'll hit better too.