Rare hard drive problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tanphu194, Jun 29, 2017.

1. tanphu194 macrumors newbie

2. treekram macrumors 6502a

It could be the HDD cable. This is a well-known issue with the mid-2012 and some earlier MBP's. You should be able to get these replaced for free by Apple at an Apple Store (call first to make sure).

3. tanphu194 thread starter macrumors newbie

No not the cable, I had two authentic Hitachi drives with the Apple logo and those worked fine. Also one old WD Black drive worked fine.

4. treekram macrumors 6502a

What brand/model is the HDD that is having the problem?

5. tanphu194 thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly like what stated in the link - WD Black 500 GB
    S/N WD5000LPLX

6. treekram macrumors 6502a

Besides the link you cite, there's a review in Newegg where a poster says the drive works in one of their Xbox's but not another. It's possible that it could be the cable and given that Apple is replacing it for free, you might want to give that a try. More likely, I think it's something peculiar to this drive and something in this particular model that makes it work in some systems but not others. Also, if you didn't give the drive a good workout in Windows, it may be that it can be recognized in Windows but won't necessarily work on a day-to-day basis. In any case, since other HDD's work in your MBP, I would fault the drive vs. the MBP or OS.

7. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Have you tried putting it in the Windows machine, using DISKPART to clean the disk, setting it to MBR, and then formatting it as exfat and then throwing into the MBP?

In Windows, have you taken CrystalDiskInfo to it, and does it bring back any stats that it flags as being problematic? The drive itself could be in the process of failing due to a manufacturing defect even if it currently works OK on the the Windows machine, and SMART could help rule this out.

Also, is the Mac you are trying to put this into a SATA I, II, or III model? I ask because a few Macs with older SATA revisions have had some weird SATA compatibility issues with certain SATA III drives, although to my knowledge this has mainly been with SATA III SSDs having a negotiated SATA I revision when it should be SATA II (and not simply failing to show up at all.)

I'm not sure if the SATA cable should be completely ruled out just yet. For some reason, I have observed from this forum that when the SATA cables go, they sometimes have very bizare behavior where they may work with one hard drive and yet not another. I'm not sure if it has to do with power consumption or what, but someone smarter than me could confirm this. It may be worth putting the HDD in a USB or TB enclosure and seeing if OS X can see it this way?

Finally, what is the difference between the LPLX and more common WD Black 2.5s? Is it some specific power management feature?

8. tanphu194, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017

tanphu194 thread starter macrumors newbie

1. Have you tried putting it in the Windows machine, using DISKPART to clean the disk, setting it to MBR, and then formatting it as exfat and then throwing into the MBP?

I cleaned the disk and set it as GPT as it was supposed to be the boot drive, the MBP I bought didn't come with a HDD.

2. In Windows, have you taken CrystalDiskInfo to it, and does it bring back any stats that it flags as being problematic? The drive itself could be in the process of failing due to a manufacturing defect even if it currently works OK on the the Windows machine, and SMART could help rule this out.

SMART is Good.

3. I'm not sure if the SATA cable should be completely ruled out just yet. For some reason, I have observed from this forum that when the SATA cables go, they sometimes have very bizare behavior where they may work with one hard drive and yet not another.

Also, is the Mac you are trying to put this into a SATA I, II, or III model? I ask because a few Macs with older SATA revisions have had some weird SATA compatibility issues with certain SATA III drives, although to my knowledge this has mainly been with SATA III SSDs having a negotiated SATA I revision when it should be SATA II (and not simply failing to show up at all.)

It's a 2012 MBP and it supports SATA 3.

4. I'm not sure if it has to do with power consumption or what, but someone smarter than me could confirm this. It may be worth putting the HDD in a USB or TB enclosure and seeing if OS X can see it this way?

Let me try that. My observations are the 2011 MBP can see it in Disk Utility and I could format it, but when I tried to install El Capitan or Sierra it did not show up in the disk selection, while the 2012 MBP doesn't see anything even in Disk Utility.

5. Finally, what is the difference between the LPLX and more common WD Black 2.5s? Is it some specific power management feature?

I don't really know that, but I know it's a 7200rpm one. LPLX has 32MB cache, 'regular' BPKX has 16MB.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 29, 2017 ---
    Nice find on the Newegg one.