Rare iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Seattlegrace, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Seattlegrace macrumors newbie

Hi this is my first post, I hope you don't mind my posting for some advice. I have recently upgraded my iPhone 5 to a 6 and want to sell my iPhone 5 in order to recoup some of the cost if possible. My iPhone 5 when I purchased it had something 'wrong' with it which when I took it to the Apple Store the geniuses (genui?!) said it was very rare, in your expert opinion would this make it worth more?

For information the + and - buttons have been installed the wrong way round, so the + is at the bottom and actually turns the volume down and vice versa. The genius was bemused and said he had never seen it before. It doesn't affect the way the phone works in that you still have volume control but you just have to use the opposite buttons.

Sorry if posts like this are not allowed but I'd welcome any opinions.

2. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

Not really a big deal. Anyone can open it up and swap the buttons around.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I've heard of it before. Normally (if under warranty) Apple will replace it with a new one as it's a manufacturing defect. At this point I would forget about it. Nobody will notice it anyway. :cool:

4. Seattlegrace thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah ok, I had no idea you could muck about with the buttons.

The phone is 2 years old now so out of guarantee. Hey ho, never mind!

5. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

I would trust the opinion of the Apple Store people more than anonymous people on a forum.

I would go for it! Sell it in Asia (via the web of course) since they often like the rare stuff.

Good luck!

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I've heard of this defect before but I doubt most people care enough to impact its value. The only real rare iPhones that may actually increase in value are the prototypes.

7. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This is really nothing new.

[​IMG]

9. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Seriously, that is easy to do. I have an iphone 5C that I converted into a 5S. I could make the iPhone 4 frame gold in color, I can exchange the vibrator switch for the power button, switch the volume buttons around. Everythings interchangeable nowadays.