Resolved Rare Power Mac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ih8reno, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Ih8reno, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Just picked up this baby today for $10 and when I opened it to inspect it I found a plastic shield and a fan over the processor. In all my g4s I have had I haven't seen it before. Is it a rare model or is it simply a case of not many in my area. It's a 667mhz model of a digital audio I believe.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

None of my DAs(all base 533mhz) have it, but I've seen it before. From my memory, it generally shows up on DP models and the higher speed SP ones.

Remember that ALL QSs-even the lowest spec single 733mhz-had a fan in the same location, along with a connector on the logic board(rather than the process card) onto which it is connected. I've never seen the plastic cover on a QS(and I've had most of the variants) although the CPU fan attaches directly to the case and has a shroud to direct the airflow over the heatsink. I suspect as much as anything that the plastic cover on the DA is to serve as a fan attachment point.

Remember also that the DA really has more in common with the QS than any of its predecessor graphite case models.

It looks like you have an upgraded graphics card also. I'm not sure what the NVII means on the sticker, but the card I see looks a lot like a GEForce 4MX. You also have a SCSI that looks like the OEM Apple one, although it's also not listed on the sticker.

3. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Yeah, I added in the graphics card so I could use my cinema display. As for the scsi that was in there when I got it.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Was I correct about the ID of the gfx card?

If so, that's a bit scary for me and probably a sign that I've spent too much time poking around in these things :)

5. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The DVI port should have clued me in :)

If you're going to run OS 9, reinstall the Rage 128(assuming that's what it came with) and then install the ATI drivers for that card. Otherwise, you will have issues. I speak from experience-I nearly had our department chair shoot me because he thought I'd messed up his DA when I did exactly this!

7. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Thanks, but for now this is strictly an OSX machine

8. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

My 733 MHz DA has the plastic housing over the heatsink. Like Bunn said, this was probably used on the faster DA machines.

9. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Looks to me like a 2930CU, judging by the arrangement of the pins.

10. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

My Power Mac G4 DA 733 MHz also has this fan cover. Looks like it is indeed a feature of the higher end (fast cpu) models

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

NV11 is the internal nVidia codename for the GeForce 2MX.

12. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

13. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Thanks. My area usually has good deals for older Macs if you look hard enough

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Ive started collecting old mac gear. First the ipod collection :) , will move onto macs after that.