Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A rare wearable Macintosh accessory from 1988 called the "WristMac" today goes up for auction at ComicConnect.

wristmac-auction.jpg

The WristMac is an early example of wearable technology made by Ex Machina, Inc. and Seiko. While it was not made by Apple, the device served as a programmable wristwatch that could be connected to a Macintosh and store phone numbers, execute one-time and recurring alarms, and take notes that could be exported to a disk as a text file.

In 1991, NASA astronauts were issued with a WristMac to communicate with the Macintosh Portable and Apple Link software aboard the space shuttle "Atlantis."

The WristMac is a very rare item and as such there are no recent confirmed sales to accurately determine its expected selling price. ComicConnect CEO Stephen Fishler expects the WristMac listing to sell for anywhere between $1,000 and $100,000, with a final selling price likely to be in the region of $25,000 to $50,000.

The never-worn WristMac available in the auction still comes in its original box and includes its dock, registration card, reference manual, and WristMac 1.2 software floppy disk. Bidding begins today from $1, with the online auction running through to December 18.

Article Link: Rare 'WristMac' Wearable From 1988 Could Sell for Up to $100,000 at Auction

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
How far we’ve come in both function and form. This looks like it was snapped out of a C4 Corvette dashboard.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
It’s an interesting novelty item but I’m having trouble seeing a great deal of value beyond nostalgia here.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
This is an interesting piece of history, but where it's not Apple branded, I'm not sure it's six-figure (or even five-figure) valuable. But collectors are an interesting breed, so you never know.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
It will sell for more. Too much funny money. We have had on average several IPOs per trading day this year.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Being an accessory not made by Apple, it won't have much interest in the Apple collecting world but it will certainly get the watch collectors world twitching, in my opinion.

Reactions: MrTangent

heystu

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2021
Norwich, UK
Maybe it'll be snapped up by an electronics student who'll mod it with a USB-C port then sell it on eBay for $200k (so long as the buyer doesn't open it, use it or look at it - half an hour phone call included) ?

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Wow. I actually had one of these. I would've held onto if I knew it had any nostalgia value. I never really used it much, was very clunky and not Mac-like at all.

Reactions: MrTangent
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.