Ratatouille on Blu-ray!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gloss, Dec 15, 2007.

1. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Anyone else picked this up? Absolutely incredible picture quality. If you've got a decent-sized TV and know someone who isn't convinced of the merits of HD, this disc might just do the trick.

[​IMG]

(click through and then click again for full size)

Seriously, here's a cap of the DVD transfer in relation.

[​IMG]

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

3. je1ani macrumors 6502

That photo doesn't do blu-ray justice and pixar animation looks good on all screens.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I don't see much difference. Not enough to justify the higher cost.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Maybe if I post two sections next to each other? Have a look at this.

Attached Files:

• Rat.jpg
      Rat.jpg
      File size:
      208.2 KB
      Views:
  6. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

Thank you. =)

I mean, Pixar DVD's look fantastic upconverted but relative to Blu-ray...well. No comparison. We're talking six times the number of native pixels.

7. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

+1.

Although I often work in all this stuff, and should be more concerned about quality, I hardly enjoy a bad movie in HD. And I love any good movie no matter it's format. I don't think HD adds much to a good movie, given that 90% of what makes it good is it's story.

"If you've got a bad script, do it in HD, at least it'll look good"

I absolutely loved Ratatouille, btw.

8. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

+1!

I think it's brilliant.

9. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

Well, it adds as much to a visually powerful movie as the jump from VHS to DVD did, and I won't speak for anyone else but I sure as hell appreciated the difference.

Doubly-so with something like this.

10. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

What kind of movies do you mean?

11. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

That small image looks like the rat is a leper or something.

Anyway, I'm fine with itms video quality so it is easy to guess what I think of the jump from dvd to bluray/hddvd. :lol:

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Thanks, that does show a bigger difference.

When they start making $30 Blu-ray/HD-DVD players, I'll make the jump. (Not kidding)

13. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

No, not even close. Even the most ardent HD supporters I've heard in the media admit that the difference between a good DVD image and a good HD image isn't as huge a leap as VHS to DVD was. Maybe you're forgetting (or are too young to remember) exactly how bad VHS really was.

I couldn't agree more. Once you get to DVD quality, ~90% of the emotional content in a movie is conveyed to the home viewer. You can multiply the image sharpness as much as you want, beyond DVD sharpness there's still only ~10% of the movie's feeling left to deliver.

Does HD look much sharper than DVD? Absolutely, unquestionably. Does that extra sharpness make me laugh any more at comedies? Does it make me any more wowed by explosions in action flicks? Does it make me feel any more emotionally connected to the characters in a drama? The answer is yes, but only by a small amount.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The funny this is, the Blu-Ray source looks even better as that's not even close to the actual size of the content.

DVD didn't make me feel emotion any more than I had with VHS. Heck, a lot of the great movies were filmed in Black and White! There's even great silent movies out there.

The point is, on a good 1080p TV with HD quality films, the experience is a lot better. It's much more immersive and that's the point, not that the crappy stories that the script writers are writing are any better. NOTHING is going to help that.

ps. I loved Ratatouille too! There are still some good writers left. Just not many.

15. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Oh, no, they are out there, waiting for the mankind to stop its crave for FX so they can finally get to work.

Seriously, I felt bad a few months ago on this very forum when I stumbled upon a thread about "your favorite movies". Most of the answers given were commercial junk...