Rate app popup getting real annoying.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by tonyr6, May 6, 2013.

1. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

It is really annoying especially apps that I purchased and already rated yet it still comes up. Just popped up with TuneIn Pro and Mercury Browser Pro. It just pops up after you open the app even when it is opened. No thanks makes it go away but then after a while it pops up again. If you click rate it rudely takes you to the App Store and then when you have to rate it you have to insert your stupid password.

If your lucky your review might show up but it does not yet reviews not even in English that look like chicken scratch show up. Just sick of this stupid popup. If anything it should show up as a notification.

2. Armen, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I noticed recently that the Appstore has ratings based on different versions of the same app. Mercury did get updated this morning I think so it may be asking you to rate this version of it.

3. tonyr6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

Still I purchased it so leave me alone. I rate it if I want to since it is a waste of time when most of my detailed ratings don't even show up yet stupid fake ratings like "Its Great", "dasflkjfdlsk" and others in Russian, Greek and Arabic which just look like chicken scratch to me show up.

4. tonyr6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

Also I do notice that only Mercury Browser will nag me after it has been updated otherwise I launch it multiple times a day and it does not pop up. However TuneIn Pro is just plain annoying it has the nerve to popup while you use that app and also some games that I also purchased.

Now I don't want to hear no excuse saying that developers need ratings to keep there apps supported. There was one app called Battery Doctor Pro which constantly popped up to rate it it got so bad I ended up deleting it form my device and guess what it completely disappeared from the App Store in March.

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I have a couple like that. Got so annoying that I did rate them. One star. with a review about how they might have had a good app, even a great one, if not for annoying things like constant nagging harassment to rate them (especially if it's one that basically tells me to give them 5 stars)

6. cynics macrumors G3

I reduce an apps rating by one star every time I get that pop up after the initial time. I also mention that in the review. I have a couple apps I use that I have rated at 1 star because it kept asking me that.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Heros, both of you.

I may have to follow your inspiring lead.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

That's so wrong.

Imagine if you were a waiter at a restaurant and every time you went by one of your tables to see how everyone was doing they took a dollar away from your tip. These developers rely on good ratings to make their money.

9. cynics macrumors G3

Your missing the point or your analogy is wrong.

It would be like if I had a completely full coke and a waiter ask me if I wanted a refill and brought me another coke. Then 2 minutes later did the same thing until my table was filled with full cokes. Yes the tip would be severely reduced.

I'm not paying developers to be harassed with popups. For all I'm concerned its worse then an advertisement. I'll rate the app once, don't keep reminding me after I already did.

The waiter and developer are the same to me. Don't like it, find a new job. That's what I've done in all my previous jobs/careers.

10. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Agreed. These pop-ups are terrible. If you must ask, ask once and that's it.

That and the frustrating, "This forum has an app!" messages in Safari. Go. Away. Do it properly with the app store banner at the top of the page that many sites now use.

11. tonyr6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

Then how come half of the apps I do rate don't even show my rating. What is the point when the app store is so flawed that stupid fake and foreign reviews show up yet my detailed review never shows. Also one popular battery app I mentioned that constantly had a annoying rate this app popup had tons of ratings most probably fake yet one day in March the app just disappeared from the app store never to be seen again.

12. coolguy4747 macrumors member

No, waiters are supposed to do that. It would be more like if the waiter said "don't forget to tip me" every time they came by.

13. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Same here.
    File Manager asks me to rate them in 3 out of 10 launches.

14. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I would if I was asked more than once - there is no need to ask the same questions multiple times. I don't tip if I'm not asked either.

I hate being harassed in shops, if I want help or something I will ask.

----------

I noticed the other day on the bottom of my receipt from TGI's it said 'good service requires a tip. But we'll leave that up to you' I don't like that. I never left a tip.

15. Bear macrumors G3

If the app is being annoying with the rate me popups (and not all apps are like that) give them a low rating... like 1 or 2 stars and explain clearly that the low rating is because of the annoying popup. I'd say 2 stars if it only pops up when toy start the app and 1 star if the app is popping it up at random times during use.

Remember only do this if the app gives you more than 1 popup.

16. tonyr6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

If your lucky then your review might show up.