Rate my battery time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Boesky, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

iPhone 3GS brand new

Usage: 3 hours 21 minutes

Standby: 8 hours 22 minutes

Call time: 48 minutes

At 15% now

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There are plenty of battery threads. Did you even read any of them?

Also, you may need to calibrate your battery, since you say it is new. Sometimes it takes awhile for the battery to perform how it is going to perform normally.

Anyway, you're battery doesn't look good. Even at the worst usage, you should get 5 hours.

See this for more info:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=525741

4. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

AIM, Facebook, and some texts.

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I would say you are getting 50% of what you should. Let the battery die then plug-in about two hours later.

Is your 3G reception good?

6. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

As a comparison, mine's currently at 54% and that's after 4 hrs 7 mins usage (mainly calls, but with some texts, Twitter, and iPod usage mixed in) and 22 hrs and 14 mins standby.

7. zoomin6 macrumors member

The ideal thing to do with any electronic when you first get it brand new is to charge it 'til it's 100%, then use it until it dies (do not charge it again until it dies!)

THEN after an hour or so charge it again 'til it's 100% and again let it die by using it...this way you will fully use the battery and throughout it's life it will give you maximum charge.

If you knew this already sorry for the unimportant info lol GL with your iPhone!

Walter.

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Just to clarify, you aren't saying that you should let your phone die each time you charge it, are you? Because while that may have been good advice back in the days of NiCd batteries, it is terrible advice for Li-ion batteries. You will need to do a full cycle to calibrate the battery meter, but thereafter you should charge at about 50%. Recalibrate the battery only every 6-12 months or when you feel that it is giving you an inconsistent or inaccurate reading. Running a Li-ion battery like the one in the iPhone to zero every time will dramatically shorten its battery life.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Correct. Anal retentive methods say charge to 100% BRAND NEW let die and do not connect for two hours after it shuts-off. Then repeat once more. Everyday use then is 20-80% optimal range for LiIon and a total discharge every month.

10. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Absolutely! Frequent completely discharging a battery does more harm than good! Apple state this should be carried out at a maximum of once a month.

11. Morn macrumors 6502

Doesn't seem too unusual to me. Heavy usage of internet over 3G, with push notification on, could run it down like this. Shouldn't expect more than about 4 hours out of the iPhone if you're using it like a pocket laptop over 3G, why Apple themselves claims 5 hours.

Ohh, if you used it the whole 4 hours with constant 3G internet use, I'd expect it be far lower than 54%.

12. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

My usage and standby are almost identical to Blueline. I'm gonna go Airplane overnight and see if I can make it two days.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

wow

another great thread Boesky how do you do it!

[​IMG]

14. Morn macrumors 6502

Boesky is clearly spending a lot of time on 3G data.
    If he was using wifi and the iPod app instead of using facebook and AIM on 3G the whole time, I'd expect it to be a lot better than 3 hours.

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Usage: 9 hours 4 minutes
    Standby: 1 Day, 16 hours

Battery at 1%

16. zoomin6 macrumors member

Yea yea I meant only to let it die one or two times when new and charge to 100% each time, thereafter charge it as frequently as every night if need be. Sorry if my wording was a bit confusing =)

Thanks for clarifying my jumbled mess lol

walter..