Rate my Pro/Additional Ram Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by monkeyking0, Jun 16, 2012.

1. monkeyking0 macrumors newbie

Hey sup folks. First post here. I just saw the new MacBook Pro line and I'm a bit in awe because I just bought a refurbish Mid-2010 version. Even though I am not too informative with hardware I THINK that it's still very good in terms of performance. I have 2.8 Ghz, 4gb RAM and 500 GB memory. I just need someone to verify that for me please (to push my ego :D). Also any recommendations where to buy additional memory and how to it works? I saw some brief instructions on the Apple website and it seemed fairly easy. I'd like to upgrade to 16gb.

These are my specs. Thanks!!

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
    Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F
    SMC Version (system): 1.58f16
    Serial Number (system): 73214002HR5
    Hardware UUID: 3D5FC20D-1CE4-5BEC-BD63-B0D85A06EADC
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why don't you tell us. Is it fast enough for what you do on a daily basis? If so, then it's very good in terms of performance. Since you don't tell us how you use your computer we can't help you, and even if we did it likely wouldn't convince you to buy another one.

Also, you probably don't need 16 GB of RAM.

3. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

You REALLY need to describe how you use it. It could be fine for you.

4. monkeyking0, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

monkeyking0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I should have explained further. Anyway, Of course I'm an everyday user (browsing, streaming etc) but I'm also a music producer and mostly that is what my spec decision was for. No fancy video rendering or anything. I would occasionally play video games (and GTA: San Andreas does experience freezes). I definitely want to utilize some more ram for that. I run Logic Pro 9 and Reason 5.0.

Also my Macbook gets hot easily and alot. It doesn't bother me too much but I'm just terrified of potential damages.

5. MacBird macrumors 6502

Popular places to get RAM are OWC and Crucial. There are only 2 RAM slots, if you currently have 2 x 2 GB then you need to get 2 x 4 GB and make sure it is the right speed, in your case 1333 MHz.

As for temperature, if the laptop would get too hot, it would shut down to prevent damage. This has never happened on my computer, though.

6. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Your selection work well with what you do with everything except for gaming. It's too bad because Apple's graphics rendering has always been sub-par to every other category of their machines. As long as you're getting desirable frame rates with the games you play, then you made a fine choice. For better results, move up to 2011 dedicated GPU/2012 integrated, and then 2012 dedicated.

7. monkeyking0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx alot but what is GPU? I know that might be a dumb question. It does work well. Sims 3 I run without problems, San Andreas freezes in cutscenes (even though the graphics are much less demanding) but runs smoothly. Not trying to do any heavy gaming. Maybe just Diablo III but that shouldn't be a problem either

@MacBird IS there no way I can get 2 x 8? How do I know if I have 2 x 2 or 1 x 4 (If that exists)? I'd really love to just get 16 and call it a day

8. cruggles macrumors regular

I believe 1067 MHz RAM for mid-2010 although 1333 MHz will also work.

Max 8 GB - you can't go to 16 GB (according to Apple).

9. MacBird macrumors 6502

Yes, you are right about the speed of the original RAM. I put 1333 MHz RAM in my 2008 uMBP and it runs at the higher speed.

10. cruggles macrumors regular

That's interesting, I'm sorry if we're getting off topic but do you actually know if it's running at the higher speed or is it just identifying itself to the system as higher speed RAM?

11. MacBird macrumors 6502

According to system information it runs at 1333 MHz. After the most recent firmware update, the maximum amount went up from 6 to 8 GB on my MBP, too.

Attached Files:

12. cruggles macrumors regular

I believe in your case it is just identifying itself to the system as 1333 MHz.

The bus speed on your logic board would only be 1067 MHz so your RAM won't be running at 1333 MHz, it will only be running at 1067 MHz.

Here's a discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3333325?start=0&tstart=0

13. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

You say only he can answer that question because you don't know how he uses his computer; yet you tell him he prob doesnt need 16GB of Ram?

14. MacBird macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link and it could well run at 1066 MHz. There are no stability issues, though.

15. cruggles macrumors regular

Good point, but irrelevant because his machine will only accept a maximum of 8GB of RAM (according to Apple).

16. monkeyking0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Aw that sux.. But I suppose it will do as well... Do you guys recommend someone who has no clue about anything doing it by himself? I'm good with insructions lol

17. monkeyking0 thread starter macrumors newbie

18. vjmorph macrumors newbie

So??

So did anyone establish if this model can use 16gb Ram under ML ???