Rate this app dialog

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by pulsewidth947, Jun 30, 2011.

?

What do you think of "rate this app" dialogs?

1. They are helpful, they remind me to rate an app

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I don't care either way

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. I hate them, and dismiss them everytime.

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I've just written an app, and I'm trying to think of a way to encourage users to rate my app. What do you all think of those "Rate this app!" popups? Do you find them annoying? Do they prompt you to rate an app?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think they're a terrible idea. There are apps that I LIKE that I have decided not to give good reviews to because of those pop-ups.

Mind you, I don't give them a bad review...that seems mean. But I just leave no review at all for those apps when it would have been a good one had they let me get there in my own time.

Maybe I'm unique, but I doubt it.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Actually, you might be in the minority. If you go to multiple developer forums, you'll see many, many developers having success after include the "rate this app" dialog. Their ratings (and mostly positive ones, at that) increased exponentially.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I guess I could be.

It remdinds me of when I get my car repaired at the dealer and then I get a call the next day from the dealership asking if my service was good and going through a 10-quesion survey with me...and then the car company itself calls me the next day calls me to ask more questions...and then the next day I get another call from I-don't-know-who asking similar questions again. Now I'm up to 15 minutes of phone time because these people apparently can't share information with each other.

Pisses me off. No, this isn't as annoying as that, but it sure reminds me of it.

5. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

6. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I usually just dismiss them too, but I really need a way to encourage more reviews. One of my apps has an average rating of 3 stars due to 2 people rating it one star as they didn't understand what the app did before buying.

I wouldn't mind the app being rated as 3 stars if people genuinely didn't feel it helped them, but to pull it down just because you made a mistake, thats unfair.

I think the whole voting system is odd. I've only every reviewed something that I think is amazing, and I guess a lot of other people are in the same situation. So all you really get is "1 star - awful app" and "5 star - best app ever" reviews.

Maybe I'll think twice about implementing this.