Rather furious now and need to vent. 'Contacts' related

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by danpass, Oct 27, 2009.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

So it had been some time since sync'ing to my computer. My rule is to only change what's on the phone and sync.

It has always infuriated me how there is no option in iTunes where you can check off "iPhone overrides all", "Computer overrides all", "Merge contacts", etc like on the Blackberry setup.

So what I've done many times is delete my Outlook file and sync everything over.

YEP YOU GUESSED! THE *****ING ITUNES PIECE OF RAT EXCREMENT ERASED EVERYTHING THIS TIME. NOOOOOOOOOOO NOT BEFORE WHEN IT DIDN'T REALLY MATTER JUST THIS TIME :mad:

I am so pissed. Its not a complete disaster as I can export my work database (THATS OUT OF DATE :mad: ) and go from there.

HOW STUPID CAN THEY BE TO NOT HAVE 2-3 LITTLE CHECK BOXES. HECK JUST ONE WOULD BE ENOUGH "IPHONE OVERRIDES ALL".

What better option might there be? How do I access the various backups iTunes creates and apply it?

and no I did not check off the 'Replace info on iPhone with info on computer' check box at the bottom.

2. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Can you not just restore from an older backup? I had a problem where I did a restore without backing up and lost a some recently added numbers, all I did was resync to an older backup and it worked fine for me.

4. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Why do you need to delete your Outlook file? iTunes syncs the most recent changes so if you only change things on your iPhone that's what syncs over...

6. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

Yeah, I hate to say it, but I have a feeling that some kind of misunderstanding with the sync process may have led to this.

The sync process is meant to be easy and smart. If you deleted your contacts on the computer to try and outwit it, well, it did what you asked and deleted all of your contacts.

You can sync to an "older" backup if you have some kind of backup mechanism in place... i.e. Time Machine or something else.

"thanks. I may be too late though as the sync date/time is listed as just recent."
    The backup is made immediately prior to the sync that deleted your contacts.

If you just want the last backup, which should have been taken when synced, then here are instructions from restoring from a backup. Just make sure that when you connect your phone, you do this before a new backup is created.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

7. Iphone595 macrumors newbie

Iphone overrides Outlook contacts

Hi there...Did anyone ever clearly answer as to how to make Iphone 3G override Outlook contacts when syncing? Thanks.