Rather have a Thin Macbook Pro ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by OSMac, Jul 29, 2011.

1. OSMac, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

Just as the new Air's are getting in our hands,
    MacRumors reported of a redesigned thinner Macbook Pro to released soon.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/26/apple-finishing-up-work-on-an-ultra-thin-15-notebook/

Would you rather have a next gen Pro
    that is somewhere between the current Air and current Pro in weight but
    with a better screen, space for a SSD and HD, longer battery life, faster CPU ?

Basically an Air with a somewhat bigger case,
    allowing for a better screen And camera up top,
    and better cooling and more devices, ports below.

2. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I went from an 06' MBP 15" that of course back then felt light weight. As i went to college and packed it into my backpack i felt it did take up a good amount of space, risked crushing it from all the books against it, and felt kind of heavy so i left it at my apartment a lot.

a few days ago i received my 11" MBA. I honestly would not think about buying a 15" laptop again. the screen real-estate does not bother me too much, and if i plan to do extensive work on it, i can always go buy an external monitor. I LOVE the form factor.

my only 2 gripes are the battery life and the FaceTime camera. the battery life isn't great BUT it charges back up pretty quickly. the FaceTime camera is actually worse on this unit than my 06' MBP.

the new MBP line might come close to the air, but performance is key in these machines for our high end users.

3. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree a 15" lighter device is still too big, but a 12-14 Pro sans DVD might be the one?

4. stevenpa macrumors 6502

In terms of a "pro" laptop, it should include things such as an ethernet port (the speed difference via a cable vs. wifi is huge) and at least 4 usb ports. Hard to do with the slim design of the MBA. The current MBP is already pretty well sized, slightly heavier than it needs to be but not unreasonable. If Apple removed the optical drive and slimmed it a little I think it's be perfect. You still need full wattage CPUs and to get a higher res screen it's much thicker than the current MBA's screen, which is not really close compared to the Pro's screen.

5. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

I agree with the poster above if they left everything as is but made it slimmer by getting rid of the dvd drive it would be great.

My guess is apple are testing the water with the new method of getting lion from the appstore and restoring it over the internet and if that catches on and is accepted by joe public then I think maybe the dvd drive will go the same way as the original floppy drive all them years ago.

And a 15" mba with 2 usb ports etc would make no sense as it would no longer be "pro"

6. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Not convinced they'll make it thinner, because they really cant.

I do expect an SSD in place of the optical drive though. Or, they will simply increase space for a battery.

I'd happily take an extra few hours battery over an extra HDD space.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

How can they make it thinner and not include ethernet port? They can make it lighter by taking out the HDD and optical Drive. But, then go get a macbook air. Why bother with pro?

8. Wolfpup, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

Wolfpup macrumors 68030

9. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

I don't care so much how my computers look as I do of how well they perform.

10. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

i'm not apposed to thinner pros.

What would be nicer however, would not be necessarily thinner pros, but lighter pros, that would rock!

I would like the size to stay the same, if they were to mega over haul the battery life. 15+ hour battery :D

11. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

If they came out with an 11" pro, I would be all over that.

12. bigp9998 macrumors regular

Blu Ray was dead on arrival. Steve has already announced that Apple has no intention of embracing such a technology.

13. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Dead on arrival? LOL It's incredibly successful, and probably what we'll be using indefinitely, since ATSC will probably be around for decades too.

I mean if you don't care about watching TV/movies on your computer, that's one thing, but it's a step back from when this started becoming a real possibility 10 years ago.