Rather Odd 8600/250 Behaviour

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chrismacguy, Nov 29, 2011.

1. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Okay this one has me stumped. For reasons I can't workout (its probably something very simple Ive missed), my PowerMac 8600/250 will only boot from its Secondary HDD with System 7.5.3 on from Cold, ignoring the larger, original system drive with 8.1 on it, however once up it can reboot and start fine from the 8.1 HDD. (They are not partitions, but physically separate SCSI disks). Anybody remember how to persuade a old Beige Mac to play nice with 2 HDDs? (For those interested, this 8600 is still in production-ish use, with a redundant 7500 with AV just in case. I use it for grabbing stills and short clips from archival material on VHS in AVID/Strata VideoShop 3).

It should be noted the 7500/132 (the card is from a 7600, so its basically a 7600/132 with the wrong number on the front) runs just fine with 2 HDDs in what is identical software wise and appears identical configuration wise.

2. zen.state, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I'm not exactly sure what causes this but I think it's related to older SCSI chipsets. A friend/client of mine had the same basic issue and resolved it with a SCSI PCI card. I can get you the exact part number if you want. I know it was an Adaptec.

Not only did that fix the issue but sped up his SCSI. I bet you could get one for $5 on ebay or CL. I even have one laying around somewhere that I pulled from a B&W G3 years ago.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that my friends system is a 9600 but as I'm sure you know the two are very similar.

3. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Is this the same 8600 you showed us in your videos? Just wondering...

4. chrismacguy thread starter macrumors 68000

The part number would be appreciated. I love these old Beige Macs, and well, its good to keep them in useful service, and Ill hunt around for the equivalent part over here in Blighty :)

Nope. The 8600 is actually a rather recent acquisition. The 75/7600 however is the same one as in my videos :) - The 8600 will be there "soon".

5. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I will get the part number in the next couple days. Remind me if I forget.

IMO the 8600/9600 towers are two of the greatest ever. Also the tallest ever towers till the G5. I would say those two and all the G3/G4 towers are about the best hardware ever made at Apple.

6. chrismacguy thread starter macrumors 68000

Shall do :)

I agree. The best part is, I have what I class as my "dream-team" of towers under my desk: My 8600, One of my various G4s (MDD right now, but may go back to one of my sawtooths) and then (zen you won't like this as much) my Mac Pro (Which is for work, and intel things - but I don't do much personal stuff on really. Its just a shame a G4 can't keep up with HD Editing and Final Cut Studio 3). Its probably the best combination for getting stuff done, and having something stable to check email on Ive had.

Also, I reckon if you got a Handle-less Mac Pro, The 8600 Might be a shade taller. (just comparing them by sight as their next to each other).

7. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

8. chrismacguy thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the info zen, I think Ill invest in one of these, as it will keep my 8600/250 in working order :)

And yes, it is insane, given Ive just found one of those on my local ebay for £12($19).