'Rating' songs on iPhone: What's The Point?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BergerFan, Jul 7, 2008.

1. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I've been aware of the rating songs feature on iPhone since launch, but what use is it?
    In iTunes, I know you can sort playlists by the rating you assign to each track, but the ratings done on iPhone don't carry over when I sync and I can't sort or make a playlist on the phone governed by the ratings either on the phone or in iTunes. :confused:

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

the ratings should carry over, are you sure that they dont?

3. memesmith macrumors regular

When I rate something in the iPhone the rating updates on itunes when I sync, so sounds like somethings not working correctly when you are syncing. Check your settings.

I also use the ratings to create semi-random playlists to fill my phone with, and they update when I sync too.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Ratings are HUGE for the iPhone. They allow me to narrow 42GB of music down to the 8GB and this Friday the 16GB iPhone.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I use ratings to create playlists in iTunes. My absolute favourite songs get five stars, which I then use as the basis to create a smart playlist called "Five Star Song Star". I also have a playlist for 4* and 5* songs together called "Almost the best songs in the world" and one called "Three" specifically for songs which I've rated 3*.

The Smart Playlist function in iTunes is incredibly powerful. Try it out.

6. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i think his problem is not that he doesnt know how to use ratings, but that they dont transfer over from his phone to the computer

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I better understand now. You rated the songs but needed a Smart Playlist to sync them to the iPhone that way even when you're away from the computer and rate songs on the iPhone they will automatically appear in the Smart Playlist.