Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
This morning I had the biggest catch yet! Caught right in a box that gets munched a lot:

Attachments

• Rat 3.JPG
    Rat 3.JPG
    508 KB · Views: 73

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Killing them is pointless. There are more rats in Manhattan than you have time to trap and kill, even if you quit your job and spent all day hunting them. The best bet is a repellent of sorts. I hear the high-frequency emitter things work well, but they irritate the hell out of pets.

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
Do you have any pets that may do their business in or near the garden? I know that rats are attracted to feces from other animals. By the way, nice kills!

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
No pets have access to the garden. Other rodents, including squirrels are around all the time. I remember seeing a squirrel delightful hop up Riverside Drive, right next to my apartment, carrying a couple of my mum blooms in its mouth. It was amazing to me - with a whole city and a huge park across the street that they would attack my flowers.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
There's a place for all God's creatures...

... right next to the potatoes and gravy :D

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
It's been raining for almost a week straight here in NYC which is very good for my plants and also keeps the rats at home. But a sunny day is forecast for tomorrow. If I get any rat trap activity, I'll give you another post...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.