Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BroodRooster

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
Gent, Belgium
Hi all,

Last thursday I received my Mac Pro quad and from today it started to rattle, so loud I'm getting nuts. I recorded the sound with my iPhone and you can hear it very clear!!!!!!!

What is apple doing to those beautiful machines. They must stop using cheap ass components in Pro computers. I paid more then 2k. And as a student its a lot of money

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3337459/macpro.m4a

jonnymo5

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Texas
The sound seemed a little like the hard drive. If you are certain it isn't that then it is probably the side panel. I get a rattle sometimes if my side panel isn't on just right.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
No need to go off the deep end. Just because it's "Pro" doesn't mean the odd faulty component won't slip through the QA.

Probably a fan with a duff bearing.

Phone Apple.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Reseat all of your hard drives and replace the side panel. Mine does that from time to time and it seems to be the drive sled touching something ever so slightly enough to cause vibration noises.

Kimmo

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Reseat all of your hard drives and replace the side panel. Mine does that from time to time and it seems to be the drive sled touching something ever so slightly enough to cause vibration noises.

Yep, I had a bit of a rattle recently and did what is suggested above. No more rattle and my Pro is running super quiet.

BroodRooster

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
Gent, Belgium
Did all the thing you mentioned. But no luck, went to my APR and they ordered a new graphics card. But thats not the main problem, the fans are making noises that arent even balanced so you can compare it to a fridige, something isnt right in my opinion. But i will see what my Pro does with the new card. Sorry for the crap english but im a belgian.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.