Rattle near top of iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aajad, Jul 19, 2009.

1. aajad macrumors member

aajad

The rattle I found was caused by the vibrate switch being loose when vibrate was off. The switch is tight and the phone doesn't rattle when I shake it when vibrate is on. When vibrate is off, there is a tiny bit of free play and this causes a rattle. I didn't want this to turn into an issue later on so I made a concierge appointment. The genius heard the rattle and offered to swap the phone. The new one is tight so it is a defect. All is good now.

2. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

mine is the opposite (rattles a little when on vibe) but only a little.

My previous 3G rattled a bit more.

Haven't swapped it out.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Mine rattles a bit with the switch on or off. Doesn't bother me enough to swap out.

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

It must have been rattling quite a lot and be very noticeable for you to have replaced it, and take one less iPhone in circulation.

5. Scenicroadways macrumors regular

yea, mine rattles, but i really don't consider that a defect.

6. taran420 macrumors 6502a

I was wondering the same thing today and i used one of the best features on this site, the search button. If its near the top, like there is on every single 3GS phone, its probably the auto focus mechanism.

Try searching iphone rattle and you will find a bunch of threads with the same issue and ample amount of confirmation that its nothing to worry about

7. aajad thread starter macrumors member

aajad

Rattle near top of iPhone 3GS

Well, I don't know what you mean in the above quote but it was a preventative move in case the loose switch got worse. I'd rather have not but now it doesn't rattle whereas before it did and it was noticeable.

8. Chizzled macrumors member

AAJAD- My phone has a slight rattle coming from the vibrate switch too. I tend to be OCD about things like this and notice it more than i'd like to. I posted a thread on here and decided I'd try to live with it.

Today a friend on mine showed me his 3G, and his vibrate switch doesnt even work anymore, it just moves back and forth.

Did yours look much worse than the one here shown in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB7HqmtIOFQ

Mine is a little tighter than the one shown, and I dont want to look like a psycho making an appointment over something like this.

9. aajad thread starter macrumors member

aajad

I say return it

Mine wasn't quite that bad so I would return it. They didn't bat an eye and frankly, it's not acceptable.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

People are oblivious to such suggestions.

I'm happy mine rattles.... it means my camera works properly.

11. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

As Surely above says, the rattle is caused by the autofocus camera lens in the new iPhone.

If it annoys you so much then get a 3G phone. No rattles.