rattle troubleshooting/disable dvd drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by onesh0t, Dec 30, 2011.

1. onesh0t macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm trying to troubleshoot for an intermittent rattle inside my iMac (May 2011). The sound is coming from the DVD drive/memory card slot area, lasting for about 5-6 seconds at a time. Is there any way of disabling the power to the dvd drive without unplugging wires?

I'm going to give it back to Apple eventually, it's only 2 months old and I have 3 years of Apple care. Their turnaround period for repairs is about a week minimum at the moment and I need it for work, so I told them I'll bring it back at a later date.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. onesh0t thread starter macrumors newbie

3. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Thats your hard drive, not the dvd drive. Mine makes the sound too, its completly normal. :)

4. onesh0t thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I'm not talking about the hard drive sound. It sounds a bit like a wire touching a fan, or like a loose bearing. That's the closest approximation of the sound I can think of.

Besides, I think the hard drive is at the bottom of the machine.

5. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

The hard drive is next to the disc drive. :)

6. onesh0t thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't know that, my bad :D

Still, I'm not confusing the rattle with the hard drive sound. I'll see if I can get a decent sound recorder of a friend and put up a sample.

7. redache macrumors member

I had the same problem and Apple repaired it on the second attempt. It's probably the fan nearest the optical drive that's been damaged, on the first attempt they tried replacing the CPU fan and that didn't help so they did the ODD fan (which I said at the start was the problem) and that has fixed it. It's best to get Apple to collect and repair it when you have the ability to lose it for a week :).