Rattling 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Houls, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Houls macrumors member

I just left the Genius bar because the back of my 3GS would rattle when you tap it around the camera lens. The Genius opened the phone and said the lens seemed loose so he gave me a replacement. We did the same tapping around the lens on the new phone and it makes the same rattling noise like something is loose. He said this must be due to the new lens and the way they mount it. Another customer at the store also checked his and the same thing happened. Anybody else notice this? Maybe I'm anal but it does bother me a little bit. Not enough to get rid of the phone though. :eek:

2. w00tme macrumors member

i'm taking mine in today. did you end up keeping your original phone or the new one?

3. Houls thread starter macrumors member

The new one. He had already swapped them when we noticed.

4. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

5. actorkid macrumors 6502

I don't think it has anything to do with the lens. I think it has to do with the buttons. I know that my silent switch when switched to silent is VERY loose and rattles around. The sleep/wake button also rattles on mine a little bit.

The rattling sound you hear is probably coming from that

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

It's not a problem. Every 3GS has it. It's the design of the phone. Don't get replacements for this.

actorkid: The switch on mine is loose on mine as well. There is another rattle from near the camera that also exists. Hold your finger on the silent switch so it doesn't make noise and then lightly shake your phone (up and down with the screen facing you the whole time) and listen near the camera.

7. Titan12 macrumors regular

I have a thread about this a few lines down. I have reason to believe it is the mechanism for the auto focus. Try tapping on that area, while at the same time initiating auto focus. The rattle should stop briefly while auto focus is occurring.

8. chox99 macrumors regular

Mine rattles too. not sure it's something just loose of something fell off inside. bought it yesterday. I'm gonna wait and see if I can live with it. oh yeah speck of duct under the screen too. I miss my 2G build quality.:(

9. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Did you not read this very thread and the plethora of other ones? They all have the rattle. Nothing fell off inside.

Return it for the dust if you want, but you WILL get another one with a slight rattle around the camera area.

10. chox99 macrumors regular

Yeah after you mentioned it. I think the sound is from camera. I guess I'm keeping it. dust bother me much since it shows only when phone is off.

11. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

There is a fine line between a design problem and a common defect.

There shouldn't be a rattle. As evidenced by the Genius offering to replace it.

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

But every 3GS rattles...

13. Titan12 macrumors regular

Its definately NOT the buttons. For those of us who noticed it, the buttons were the first thing that we checked. You can hold down all the buttons and even remove the sim tray, and still hear a slight rattle. Most of the time I cannot hear it when I shake the phone at all. I only hear it when I place the phone on a table, or lightly tap the area on the back of the phone near the camera.

14. auburnfan24 macrumors regular

wow...that was the trick. :eek: it stops for a brief second when focusing! i wonder if it will be an issue long term?? SCARY! i've been trying to figure the rattle out since day one. it only bothers me when i sit the phone down and i hear it. :confused:

15. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

Mine does that,too and I am very disappointed with the iPhones build quality. My 2G was flawless, my 3G had a rattle when I shook it and now this one has a rattle when I shake it + a weird noise when I tap it's back.
    :(

16. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

This has nothing to do with the 3G S build quality, this is in fact part of the design.

The Auto focus needs to move, and when it's not moving there will be some give that will cause it to rattle.