Rattling in the iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Novataglio, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Novataglio macrumors newbie

I never had an issue with my first gen iPhone, the thing was a tank.

Two or three weeks into my ownership of the 3GS, the vibrate sounds different, more hollow. If I tap the back lightly at the Apple logo you can hear something rattling around.

Just looking for suggestions, deal with it? Take it to Apple? Take it to AT&T (pretty sure they wont do anything...)?

Or is this something I just had not noticed and happening with most of them?

Edit: Did some searching and it looks like most are saying its normal/this isn't normal. What is weird to me is this is new with my phone. Prior to this the vibrate sounded like it did in my 2G phone and I never noticed a rattle.

Thanks!

2. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

I'm not even going to dignify this with an answer... Take a look at the forum and the magical search button and you may find some answers

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I'll dignify it with a response, then tell you to search.
    It. Is. The. Auto. Focus. Component. Of. Your. iPhone. 3Gs.

FOREVER.
    Search in the future.

4. Novataglio thread starter macrumors newbie

Then. Why. Did. It. Just. Start. Yesterday?

The Vibrate sounds COMPLETELY different from what it did when I got the phone. I'm not an idiot, I realized something was "off" the first time it vibrated yesterday, it almost sounds like that component has come loose and rather than vibrating the phone is just shaking whatever component it is directly attached to.

I posed the question because I couldn't find anything to explain MY issue. It is not the focus. I'm not shaking the phone, this is light tapping on the back and when the vibrate function goes off there is a strong rattle somewhere in the middle, not near the camera.

Thanks for the sarcastic help!

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

When I tap the back of my phone, on the Apple logo, I hear the exact same thing you are hearing, however my vibrate does not seem off or "hollow."

I suggest you take it to Apple. I stand by the fact that its the auto-foucs, however, if you really believe that it just started recently, and your vibrate is off, then talk with an Apple "genius." Unfortunatly they will tell you the same thing, and say it is "Within Spec," even if they know they are wrong, because they will just say its the auto-focus camera.

6. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

You tried '**************************,' didnt you?