Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone4S rattle?

• Yes

Votes: 34 70.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters

Snoudel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I know people have been having this problem, but I would like the community to post if you have the problem as well. It has gotten to the point where it is bugging me and I want to get an exchange.

Please help me out in figuring out if this is legitimately normal or not.

If you lightly tap on the back of your iPhone do you hear a rattle? Mine is so bad that when I set it down I can hear the rattle

Snoudel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
It's the camera. It's normal. Move on.

Gah, I wish I could show you, it is much louder and much more sensitive than other iphones. Also, if its normal, can you explain the percentage of people that DON'T have rattling iphones?

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Gah, I wish I could show you, it is much louder and much more sensitive than other iphones. Also, if its normal, can you explain the percentage of people that DON'T have rattling iphones?

They don't know what they are talking about.

Look, if it really concerns you, go to an apple store and rattle some phones. I assure you, it's normal.

Snoudel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
They don't know what they are talking about.

Look, if it really concerns you, go to an apple store and rattle some phones. I assure you, it's normal.

Ok, thank you, I was just looking for a plain and simple answer as to if its normal.

----------

Well ok now. 2:1 no:yes. So some people are not having this issue; can you say its normal now?

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
If I deliberately tap my phone (only in the upper section - above the Apple logo) I will hear a faint sound, almost as if something is not tightened up well. But I read in another thread that it is the camera. Personally, I thought it was maybe the on/off button, but who knows. I'm not thrilled by it, but not upset or concerned enough to go and ask for an exchange.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

lorax3 said:
As far as I can tell, only the WHITE 4S does this.

Wrong! My black phone does it. Also all iPhones since the very first one have all had this rattle noise apparently.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I am voting no as I am not even listening. I do not tap on my phone nor hear any rattle when i set it down. i am not looking for problems and am just enjoying my new phone.:cool:

It is too bad that others get so obsessed they never will be happy.:(

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Stealthipad said:
I am voting no as I am not even listening. I do not tap on my phone nor hear any rattle when i set it down. i am not looking for problems and am just enjoying my new phone.:cool:

It is too bad that others get so obsessed they never will be happy.:(

Do you have a case on yours?

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I think this is totally normal as I just checked my old 3GS for the rattle noise. When slightly tapped or set down on the table there is a rattle noise coming from the camera area above the apple symbol. I never noticed the rattle noise on the 3GS for the whole 2 years I used it because it had a case on it from day one. This is totally normal.

NumNumNum

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
I'm not sure that some of you need to be so dismissive of the poster's concern.

I've been concerned myself. When my phone is on vibrate, there is another underlying sound of vibration/humming from something that is loose. If I hold the phone at the bottom I don't hear it, but if I hold it at the top or lay it flat I do. This doesn't sound like it would be the camera. My wife's iphone 4 doesn't make the same noise.

Anyone else notice the difference?

(also someone started a post on this same issue... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1254321/)

Ziron3

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
My first iPhone 4S rattled when vibrating but it was due to a loose sim tray. It wouldn't rattle shaking on its own or tapping it, but if it vibrated the sim tray would make an awful buzz because it wasn't a snug fit. If i pressed on the tray it went away and sometimes I could position it just so to get rid of the issue but I swapped it out for one without the problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.