Rattling noise and keyboard not light up in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wonderwall, Oct 28, 2012.

1. wonderwall macrumors newbie

Whenever I tilt my 13" macbook pro, I hear a rattling noise that sounds almost like glass is stuck inside my computer. It is only when there is a severe tilt. In addition, my keyboard is no longer lighting up all the time, only randomly or when it is tilted occasionally. Otherwise, it is running perfectly normal. Is this a problem that will result in future issues that may be severe? Or a severe problem itself? It is still under warranty, so I do plan on taking it to Apple. Only problem is that my school is 1.5 hours away from a genius bar, and I am currently working on my thesis until next week. Did anybody else have this problem? Did they have to send out your computer? I really would prefer not to drive three hours total to take it to a genius bar if I can wait until next Monday without any severe problems, and I really hope they do not have to send out my computer at the end of my thesis. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Call AppleCare support and ask what your options are.

3. wonderwall thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the response! I called them, and their only advice to me was to back up my files, which I have already done. He said he couldn't be sure what the noise is. t am just still debating whether I should go to apple tomorrow or wait another week without anything happening.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Actually, before taking it in, I'd probably pop the bottom case off and see if I could identify where the sound is coming from. You won't void your warranty(unless you damage something while you're doing this). I just like to tinker with this stuff. :)

6. wonderwall thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I thought I would update this for anybody who searches this down the line and wants more information. The best way I can explain it is that the rattling sound was caused by some plastic screws or something like that around the battery. Sometimes a piece can come lose and float around the computer, which is what I heard when I tilted it and moved it around. They said it's not harmful, but it is a freaky noise since it sounds like glass is being broken inside your computer. I'm not sure if that affected the keyboard light, but they replaced the wire for that as well. It all took fifteen minutes at the apple store and was under warranty, so it was a successful trip and there was no need to send it away!