Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jiyangc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
Just updated to Yosemite on a Macbook Pro 13'' Unibody from 2010. Viewing Nikon RAW files has been fine in Mavericks but now with Yosemite it is incredibly slow switching between photos in Preview (busy icon). I have tried deleting RawCamera.bundle and RawCameraSupport.bundle from /System/Library/CoreServices and installing Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Versions 5.07, 4.06, and 4.03 to no avail.

Anyone have the same problem?

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Just updated to Yosemite on a Macbook Pro 13'' Unibody from 2010. Viewing Nikon RAW files has been fine in Mavericks but now with Yosemite it is incredibly slow switching between photos in Preview (busy icon). I have tried deleting RawCamera.bundle and RawCameraSupport.bundle from /System/Library/CoreServices and installing Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Versions 5.07, 4.06, and 4.03 to no avail.

Anyone have the same problem?

Yup same problem :confused:

My two pseudo work arounds are...

1. Immediately import the raw files to Lightroom and let it generate smart previews (much much faster)

2. I used to never shoot in any form of jpg but now I shoot in raw+basic jpg, with the jpg files going to the second memory card. The small jpg files open significantly faster in preview. I delete them all (jpg) after I import into Lightroom.

It is just another issue with Yosemite that makes the OS not ready for prime time.

PS. I am not sure if Aperture would work as well... I suspect Apple has an issue with their Camera Raw Implementation in Yosemite and Adobe does not have that issue...

Last edited:

Jiyangc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
Yup same problem :confused:

My two pseudo work arounds are...

1. Immediately import the raw files to Lightroom and let it generate smart previews (much much faster)

2. I used to never shoot in any form of jpg but now I shoot in raw+basic jpg, with the jpg files going to the second memory card. The small jpg files open significantly faster in preview. I delete them all (jpg) after I import into Lightroom.

It is just another issue with Yosemite that makes the OS not ready for prime time.

PS. I am not sure if Aperture would work as well... I suspect Apple has an issue with their Camera Raw Implementation in Yosemite and Adobe will not have that issue...

Glad I'm not the only person with this issue as when I searched the forums I didn't come up with much. I usually do a general edit in Preview before getting the RAWs off my memory card and onto my hard drive, but now I just get it all onto my HD and use Lightroom. Different workflow but works nonetheless. I hope they come out with a fix soon!

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Glad I'm not the only person with this issue as when I searched the forums I didn't come up with much. I usually do a general edit in Preview before getting the RAWs off my memory card and onto my hard drive, but now I just get it all onto my HD and use Lightroom. Different workflow but works nonetheless. I hope they come out with a fix soon!

Let me know how it works out for you... :)

Henrik-Hansson

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
Solution?

So today I went to the genius bar with exactly this problem. They told me to go to Disk Utility, choose your hard drive and click Repair Disk Permission.

Before doing this, previewing RAW-files took 3-10 seconds, now I view them almost instantly. Hope this works for someone else too.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCDPhotog

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Same problem here. What camera and raw-format are you shooting?
D610
Lossless compressed 14-bit
~24mb per file

SCDPhotog

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
Solution?

So today I went to the genius bar with exactly this problem. They told me to go to Disk Utility, choose your hard drive and click Repair Disk Permission.

Before doing this, previewing RAW-files took 3-10 seconds, now I view them almost instantly. Hope this works for someone else too.
This worked really great for me! Thank so much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.