RAW Fine Tuning Adjustment

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidfarmerie, Dec 24, 2013.

1. davidfarmerie macrumors newbie

It appears that I may be the only person on this planet who cannot locate this, however, after reading everything I can find, on the RAW Fine Tuning Adjustment in Aperture's Inspector Pane, or the HUD, I cannot find it anywhere! I bring up the Inspector Pane, and even the HUD, but there is nothing for RAW files, no "Boost" controls, no "Sharpening" controls... nothing.

What I want to do is to prevent Aperture from applying any presets, or adjustments, to my RAW files after downloading...

2. Designer Dale, Dec 24, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013

Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Inspector or HUD - the h key - Adjustment Tab / Add Adjustments / RAW Fine Tuning

edit: Unless it is displayed on your palette, Aperture isn't using it. You have to switch it on, otherwise it just imports your RAW files as given to it by your camera, which can do it's own processing before handing it off to your computer.

Dale

Attached Files:

3. davidfarmerie thread starter macrumors newbie

following up

Thank you for the quick reply.

Ok. I went into the hud and RAW Fine Tuning is the only thing in the drop down menu that is not highlighted, so I am assuming that it is turned off. So I have two followup questions:

1. How do I turn it on?

2. Since it appears to be turned off, why to my image files - once I 'open' the file for the first time, appear on my monitor looking exactly like I want them to, but then shift with adjustments of saturation, contrast, and a shift in color balance - and how do I stop this from happening?

4. lesferdinand macrumors regular

What you see initially is the JPG preview image that your camera generated. It typically has some contrast, brightness, saturation and sharpness enhancements applied to it. Aperture will replace this with a depiction of the actual processed RAW file. This has none of the enhancements, it's a 'bland' negative and allows the user to tweak it as he/she sees fit. If you like what your camera does with it in general (so the JPG preview you see initially) you may want to shoot in RAW+JPG mode or just JPG mode.

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Add Adjustment / select and click to add.
    To remove, click the little gear thing at the right and select Remove Adjustment.

Part 2 has been answered. The best place for photo app related questions is the Digital Photography forum.

Attached Files: