RAW images in Finder + space preview slower

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by amoergosum, Oct 28, 2013.

1. amoergosum macrumors 6502

I've notived that when you open RAW images in Finder and switch from image to image, they take much longer to show compared to Mountain Lion.
    Also when you hit space in order to show a preview of a RAW file, it now takes a couple of seconds (on my Mac Pro 2009 & Macbook Pro 2011).

Disappointing.

2. bacis, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

bacis macrumors newbie

3. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Yup I think this was confirmed by about 3 other people in another thread the other day. Seems like an obvious bug, wonder if it will be fixed in 10.9.1 ...

4. snerkler macrumors 6502a

I'm having this issue too and as I do photography I use a lot of RAW files. Preview is now unusable for RAW images for me. I'm going to have to go back to Mountain Lion until this is fixed :(

If someone can update on here, or send me a PM if and when this issue's fixed I'd really appreciate it :)

5. snerkler macrumors 6502a

Has anyone found that this issue has been solved yet?

6. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Haven't checked myself but I've heard there's still issues with RAW files on 10.9.1

7. snerkler macrumors 6502a

OK thanks, guess I'll have to wait a bit longer before re-upgrading :rolleyes:

8. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I tested and it seems kinda sluggish to me in 10.9, but I never used Finder to preview RAW in ML so I can't really verify this. It's enough to be annoying though, but I seem to remember it was annoying in ML Finder too.

My solutions were Path Finder and/or Graphic Converter. The huge previews in Path Finder still take a sec, but the ones in the pane are as fast as jpeg. I'm guessing the pane view doesn't rely on QuickLook, but I dunno.

Rob

9. snerkler macrumors 6502a

I use finder to preview my RAW to see which I want to delete or save before adding them to my photo editing software, therefore preview is very useful. RAW pics open up more or less instantly for me using Mountain Lion (I think the SSD helps), but when I upgraded to Mavericks it would take several seconds :(

10. frank4 macrumors regular

frank4

I find delays are noticed even with big JPG files of 2MB or more, such as from web or iPad camera. Preview Edit can be slow and buggy. No problems before with OSX ML so hopefully it is just a Mavericks bug they will quickly fix.

11. paulCC macrumors member

Tested in 10.9.1, still broken.

I just tried ORF Olympus Raw file format in 10.9.1. it is still broken:
    - the Space bar preview in finder displays the ORF files as corrupted. It even showed one JPG file as corrupted, while opening the same JPG file in Preview works fine.
    - Opening ORF files in Preview is broken for me. The file initially displays fine, then the view is erased with gray squares, till the window contains just gray background. Opening takes about 2 seconds, then the display is erased within 1-2 secs.

Not Apple's best effort, I am afraid.

Paul.

12. robgendreau, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013

robgendreau macrumors 68030

I think some folks here are conflating Preview.app with previewing using the Finder; they're different.

My point was that using QuickLook (which is what spacebar preview is) is not the only way to get a quick look. I can't compare to ML but I can compare to other applications besides Finder, and they work much better to give you a look at what you need. I've been finding QuickLook to have some issues in Mavericks, and I've seen posts by others who've had problems with particular graphics cards with its use. I've got a very fast machine with a good graphics card and an SSD, and even still Finder and images are too slow.

I use Leap, Graphic Converter and/or Path Finder to do the same thing with RAW files, to see if I even want to bother copying them for inclusion in Lightroom. As soon as I open Graphic Converter, for example, big previews of all the RAWs and JPEGs are there to see, with metadata in view as well. The Finder is a really crappy tool, especially for images. Lyn is another application that might work as well, although it's been a while since I used it.

13. Gedankenlos, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014

Gedankenlos macrumors newbie

I can confirm you that it help with a samsung 840 Pro. But sometimes It is slow too even with JPG. The first time you hit space bar on your keyboard it takes a little while to show up the first picture, after hitting the forward arrow it is faster to view them. Weird behaviour. :confused:

Try unchecking the show icon preview in the option. Let us know if its improving the speed.
    I've an idle of 92% in my activity monitor. I'M the kind to leave many programs open. Bad habit Not helping I guess :)

14. snerkler macrumors 6502a

Any news as to whether the RAW files issue has been fixed in Mavericks yet?

The way I use it is to select all the images I want and then double click one, which opens up all the images in preview. Opening them up and going from one to the other was very very slow and I had to revert to Mountain Lion as I use RAW a lot.

15. Fishticks macrumors 6502

Fishticks

10.9.5 with a fresh install on a Mid 2011 iMac core i5 8GB and 1TO is still too slow to be used and i'm reverting to Mountain Lion.
    Trying to preview Sony A7 ARW files

16. frank4 macrumors regular

frank4

No RAW images here, but Preview Edit was very slow and sometimes hung and showed high memory pressure at my last post about 10 months ago and that has gone away. Now I can Preview/Edit several big JPEG images no problem and memory pressure stays low and there are no hangs, now works OK like it did with Lion and Mountain Lion. So Apple must have fixed something.

QuickView browsing through most JPEG images is now acceptably fast if not snappy and there is an improvement there, most images such as 2 MB 2000x3000 from iPad camera take only about 1/4 second. I suspect the code they use for expanding JPEG images could still be improved a bit.

17. Fishticks macrumors 6502

Fishticks

Mountain Lion proved faster than Mavericks after reverting, but not as fast as it used to be, and not fast enough to be useful, so I came back to Mavericks.
    It's true JPEG are okay as you mentioned, though XFINE jpegs from Sony A7 or NIKON D610 are not snappy and almost not fast, they're lagging a bit, especially if you change quickly from picture to picture.
    I'll soon try Yosemite on another drive in hope of improvement,

I can't find anyone reporting on the RAW file / Preview matter with Yosemtite unfortunately.

BTW: I tried my RAW files on current i5 iMac in an Apple store: lagging/slow too so to me it's non optimised code that i wish Yosemite will fix