Raw Ingredient Dog Food...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by acearchie, Oct 30, 2009.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I was just wondering if any dog owners would like to see the benefits of switching their dogs from processed dog food to raw food.

These are some videos I recently did for a new company in Wiltshire, UK.

Any feedback would be nice!

2. alFR macrumors 68020

Can you post a link to a peer-reviewed article from a reputable veterinary journal describing those benefits you speak of?

3. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

why do you need a study on what to feed a dog? processed dog food is for the owner not the dog. anytime any animal eats closer to it's natural way they will be healthier. You think cats do well on grains? they are3 meat eaters but most cat food is more grain then anything else.
    it is not practical for me to feed our dog raw food. but she gets a smaller amount of kibble in the morning then some rice and veggies for dinner. she is happier and loosing weight.

4. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

A lot of processed dog food is terrible for your pet. Raw is natural and healthier. Its is also the most expensive.

5. alFR macrumors 68020

Because any time someone's trying to sell you something and claiming it's better than something else, they should be able to back up their claims.

There's a lot of debate about diet composition and whether a "raw meaty bones" diet is best to feed cats and dogs. To my knowledge, at the moment there is no conclusive evidence either way (but there are a lot of people making money by selling expensive "natural" foods that aren't shown to be any better than the main commercial diets).

You see, that's what you call "anecdotal evidence" (apart from the expense part) - unless of course you have some science to back that up?

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

My dog eats whatever I feed him. Usually pedigree, he likes puppy food even though hes about 3 now.

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

At this point early in the discussion I will call this what it truly is: hipster/vegan people wanting to put their own morals and ideals onto their pets. As if their own lifestyle can be translated to the millions of pets across the globe which survive to long healthy ages on all types of "processed" (as you seem to want to say: "un-natural/un-healthy") foods.

Those who spend $5 a meal on their pets, because "they can" more than "they want", are wasting their money.

There is absolutely NO proof that gourmet foods (or whatever you want to call the opposite of normal animal feed) make a healthier pet. Just a lighter wallet.

This is NOT to say that should your pet need some dietary supplement or specific feed that you shouldn't buy it.

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

It is called BARF…

Here's the obligatory Wiki link.
    And another

Works for my parents' dogs… have been tempted to start my cats on it full time.
    Right now they get raw meat/fish a few days per week.

9. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

No need - my two black labs love the processed/canned dog food; we prefer Purina Pro Plan spreadable and any left over each day after dog feeding makes great sandwiches for work!

:p

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

We've always put some of our food aside for our dogs and they seemed to live long healthy lives. Looking after my grans dog at the moment, just last night she had pasta bolognese and she bloody loves the stuff!
    One relative used to give his dogs fry ups. Again they were totally healthy animals and both lived to 16 and 17 respectively.

11. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

our dog gets reduced kibble and at night eats rice and lots of frozen veggies. she is happier and is loosing weight. this costs about 3.00 a week.

12. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

Most people don't realize that dog food typically contains around 10% reconstituted dog.

13. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

14. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

it is not about whether food is Raw or cooked.

It is about the quality of the ingredients.

Feeding a raw diet based off crap quality meat and veggies will not be any better than feeding store quality kibble.

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Don't bring people who feed their dogs raw food down to that level :p

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Might want to stop doing that because puppy food is more fattening than adult dog food and as he gets older it's going to be more difficult to keep the weight off.

As for raw ingredient dog food, I don't know what I think about it. Until I see some sort of studies indicating that it's more than just an expensive way to make yourself feel better about what you feed your pet, I'm not buying it.

17. resom macrumors member

It would probably be cheaper for me to feed my dog raw, but it is a hassle to do that. I just give my dog a raw bone randomly to help clean her teeth since it works really well. Maybe once I am out of an apartment I will, but for now kibble will have to do. I do know a lot of people who feed raw (being involved in dog sports) and they are really seem to like it.

18. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

19. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

its in the UK but at .com

Might confuse people until they attempt to check out using $ and not (on a windows machine, dont want to look up the dumb unicode for brit pound)

20. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ha sorry! Well looks like it's going to stick that way! Sorry about that.

21. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Whenever I'm cooking with beef, I always give my dog and cat scraps before I cook. They love it.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well cats are carnivores, so they'd probably do far better than eating anything with grains in it. That stuff is just filler, and every owner knows that.

Dogs though.....not sure. Are they omnivores? I thought they were carnivores until I read this thread. If they are omnivores, then perhaps processed dried dog food is just as good as good old meat and bones.

When our dogs were still alive, we used to give the dogs the bones of any beef product we ate. They loved the stuff. :)

Right now, my parents give our cat a dried food that's made with more meat and less grains (or whatever filler they use). They also buy them some canned food with nearly all meat. The cats like it far more than cans of tuna. They have pretty expensive taste. :(