Raw recovery of Macbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aramamami, May 18, 2013.

1. aramamami macrumors newbie

Hello

I accidentally deleted some photos on my macbook some months ago, that Im trying to recover using "Wondershare Data Recovery". The problem is that, it has found around 50K photos, where most of them is weird photos. It has litteraly found screenshots of every site and page I have visited on the internet, and so many photos of weird and random people that I have never seen in my life.
    Does anybody know what this is, and why my mac takes screenshots of my internet activities, that can be found in a raw recovery? If you can find all these deleted things on your macbook very easy with a free program, isnt it dangerous if your mac gets stolen or you sell it to somebody?

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Did you buy your Mac used? If so, then the previous owner did not properly destroy their data.

Yes! That is why you need to secure erase your hard drive, or better yet put a new one in, before selling your computer. As for the stealing issue, this is where encryption comes in. FileVault 2 (full disk crypto) prevents such recoveries, if the computer is not logged in.