Raw to HEIF in Photos?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by tridot, Oct 30, 2017.

1. tridot macrumors regular

I have a bunch of raw photos I need to convert to save space. Now that High Sierra is out is there an officially support way of doing this through Photos? And if not, is there a good third party app? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

As far as I know, Photos in High Sierra does not have a way to convert photos to HEIF. You should be aware that HEIF is a replacement for the JPEG format, not RAW format. HEIF is fairly new, and I guess that Apple will add the functionality to convert to HEIF in a future update.

3. tridot thread starter macrumors regular

Since it's been a few months I thought I would bump this and see if anyone might know of an answer. Thanks again if anyone is able to help!

4. yangm macrumors newbie

yangm

Time for another bump, this time from someone wanting to convert edited TIFF photo scans into HEIF to save space.

5. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

There are some third party tools that can convert to HEIC for you, and in MacOS Mojave the Preview app can export to HEIC too. Other tools like the command line sips and automator do not appear to have functionality to convert it yet though.