Ray-Ban Wayfarer fans or sunglasses geeks

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CrownVic, Oct 4, 2016.

1. CrownVic macrumors regular

CrownVic

Hey guys! Im a pretty big fan of sunglasses and the different styles of glasses. I am specifically a huge fan of the Ray Ban Wayfarers. I ordered a pair of black Wayfarers (RB2140) in my perscription. Ive wanted these for SO long and I'm so happy to be able to get them. I'm also a huge Blues Brothers fan :D Hopefully they'll be here Friday :cool:

2. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

3. CrownVic thread starter macrumors regular

CrownVic

They look pretty cool :) I have a more round/oval face, so I like frames that have sharp corners and square shape lenses

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As do I.

Both my ordinary glasses - and my prescription sunglasses - are the Riley R by Oliver Peoples.

5. Zenithal Suspended

Very much this. I've been using them for many years. Up until last year I thought they were English. Turns out they're American. Fancy that.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I didn't know that they were a well known brand; in 2010, on holiday, I spotted a pair of frames in Stockholm that I liked, and asked about them.

It transpired that they were Oliver People's - a brand I had never heard of - and so, I had an eye examination in Stockholm - I was due my biennial eye test in any case, - and therefore, I had a new pair of glasses made in Sweden, new lenses, and new frames. I haven't worn anything else since then.

7. Obi Wan Kenobi macrumors 6502

Obi Wan Kenobi

Rayban Wayfarers are iconic, not least because of Blues Brothers.

I finally bought a pair in June, and I absolutely love them.

8. CrownVic thread starter macrumors regular

CrownVic

Yeah they are! There's a lot of history behind them :) my biggest influences in buying them, besides loving the style, is the Blues Brothers and John Lennon. Lennon had a pair in 64 that he wore a lot. This was before he went to the round "granny" glasses

9. Zenithal Suspended

They and several dozen other high end brands are owned by Luxottica, an Italian conglomerate. If memory serves me correct, I asked a stranger at an outdoor pub what brand their sunglasses were. They're a fairly obscure brand and don't have the notoriety that Ray Bans do. Mostly derived from JFK wearing them, albeit in tortoise, IIRC.

10. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I wear glasses and come to the conclusion to wear a clip on instead because constantly changing glasses become a pain especially when wearing shorts or going into a good restaurant or movie theater and having to carry (in a glasses pouch) case around with you!

11. Scepticalscribe, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That is a perfectly reasonable solution as long as the glasses you wear fall into a 'standard size'.

Actually, I used to wear clip ons, but eventually realised that they were not made in a size sufficiently small for the lenses - and frames - I wore. In fact, it became impossible to find a pair which actually fitted me - or my glasses, - without completely dwarfing my face.

Thus, prescription sunglasses, as soon as I could afford such a thing, became the norm for me.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I where brown lens sunglasses therefore I wear Serengeti generally. I do have some plastic framed Uvex that are every bit as good.