Raymond's Wedding Thread of 2010

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by raymond lin, Jul 19, 2010.

1. raymond lin macrumors regular

Wedding photography is not my main occupation, it is a hobby that pays for itself at the moment but I have more than a handful of weddings this year purely through word of mouth. I just shot the first one last weekend for this year (my 6th ever) and rather than starting a new thread every fortnight i thought I would consolidate them all into 1 thread. I will try and keep this thread updated as I go along. I might not post entire weddings in one go, instead of half a dozen randomly chosen ones that pops out of the collection or something that i find interesting as I go along so I apologise for may be some lack of order in some posts.

[​IMG]

2. raymond lin thread starter macrumors regular

First Wedding - Sophie & Rob's 10th July 2010

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. svndmvn Guest

wow, very nice photos! Thanks for sharing, could you add what your gear is? Lenses, strobes if you use any?
    Most, if not all of them, are hand held, right?
    Your sixth wedding where you've been the main photographer? Did you start assisting someone else?

4. raymond lin thread starter macrumors regular

This is only my 4th as a main photographer, one of them was for my sister. The other 2 are for friends and i wasn't second, they had a main and i just did my own thing. My current gear consist of 2 x 5Dii, 24-70L, 16-35L, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 135L, 580exii and 550ex.

Everyshot is handheld, i don't use a tripod at weddings, only done that once at my sister's so i wouod be in the group shot myself.

5. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Very nice!

Wedding shooting could certainly be your main dough-bringer-inner... (Assuming the rest of the shots are roughly on par as the ones posted)

Your work is head and shoulders above many of the shooters I have checked out in the MPLS area charging $3K for a day....

Bravo, sir!

6. raymond lin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your kind words, although i am competent and trust my own ability, i do know i can get better, and a LOT better.

The rest of them DO keep up to the same standards....so far.....I am working my way there for it to become my main income or a really nice second income, but it takes time to build up a reputation and i can only do that by shooting more, which is what this year is about.

Here are some more. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Awesome.

You really have the eye, and it sounds like you an I are at exactly the same place, photo-career- wise. I just shot my first engagement a few days ago and have 3 weddings booked for this summer, with 2 more next. Expect some posts from me too!

May I ask- What is your main income right now? I am merely interested...

PS- I LOVE the clarity and dreamy feel of your photos!

8. raymond lin thread starter macrumors regular

My main occupation is that i work in a law firm, and i hope to become a lawyer. I have invested a lot of money in my education so it seems like a waste not to give a real crack at it. I am not bad at my main job but i feel i am really good at my hobby...I have had no "training", or courses, or followed anyone as a second or be anyone's assistance. I just jumped in with both feet and went for it basically.

9. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Really love this shot! Did you have a diffuser over the flash (I am assuming that the flash fired) such a great expression and really complements the looks of the two guys!

I've never been lucky enough to use a 5dmII however, I was wondering how you went about getting perfect focus on the bride(?) in 13? My digital camera would probably wonder between super close and super far focusing before setting on the furthest object away (never have had good experiences with autofocus) so now I don't really mind manually focusing on my Hasselblad!

10. raymond lin thread starter macrumors regular

Just flash bounces off the ceiling. I don't use a diffuser, or i like to call it, Tupperware lol

No. 13 was shot with a 135L at F/2.0, Autofocus, but single point.

11. raymond lin thread starter macrumors regular

12. toastboy macrumors member

Hi Raymond,

Very impressed with the photos you have posted. I am new to dslr photography and would love to be able to take photos like yours some day.

If it's ok, can i ask a few questions.

Have you read any books on photography?
    Do you use any ND /Grad or UV filters in your pics?
    Also, how much post processing do you do for the pics above? Any preferred software ?

Sorry for the questions, just like your style and would love to learn more.

13. raymond lin thread starter macrumors regular

I don't own a single photography books, not on technique anyway. I own a few books like David Bailey, Mario Testino, where it is just images that i admire.

I do use UV filters, but not for the UV element. I use it for protection. Cheaper to replace a $50 filter than a $1500 lens.

I do some processing, all photos are processed (as I shoot in RAW only), and it is all done in Lightroom. The processing is minimal really, although i have made my own presets, I can do it from scratch in a minute on a new photo. I prefer to frame it right when i shoot. 99% of the shots are uncropped, I only crop to level the horizon or remove some void/space on the edges.

14. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

5d markII and wide angle glass does wonders.

love your photos.

15. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Overall these are pretty good. Very modern PJ style, which I happen to like (you don't happen to spend time at FM.com, do you?...these would fit in nicely in the Wedding forum over there)

I'm not a fan of the processing on one or two of them, and a few seem not to have any real subject, but overall these are really very nice.

Well done!

16. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

17. raymond lin thread starter macrumors regular

Leticia & Steve's - 16 July 2010

(The one that broke my 24-70L)
    :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. dlegend macrumors 6502

19. raymond lin thread starter macrumors regular

It just stopped. I've sent it to be repaired and they said it's an electric fault.

20. biomorph macrumors newbie

Presets

Hi Raymond,
    Excellent collection you've got there. I was wondering if you could share your presets. I just shot some pictures at a wedding. Nothing close to professional, was just an invitee trying to get some good shots without getting in the way of the REAL photographer and the ceremony. I really like the effects in your photos and I was wondering if I would be able to use your presets to help my photos too (only for personal use).
    Thanks

21. raymond lin thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, been away/busy for a while. Here are some updates

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. raymond lin thread starter macrumors regular

23. raymond lin thread starter macrumors regular

36. (The weather was unpredictable)

[​IMG]

37. damn single confetti

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

39. (shoes begin to hurt their feet, girls eh? :p)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. raymond lin thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, that's me :p

Sorry, I mean a couple more of the couple :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. raymond lin thread starter macrumors regular