Razer Launches New Core X External Graphics Enclosure, Adds Mac Support to Razer Core Lineup

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 22, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Razer today announced the launch of its latest external graphics enclosure, the Core X, and alongside the debut of the new accessory, the company is also adding Mac support to its enclosure lineup.

Both the new Core X and the existing Core V2 external graphics enclosure are now compatible with all Macs that offer support for Thunderbolt 3, including the MacBook Pro, iMac, and iMac Pro.

[​IMG]

The Razer Core X, which also works with Windows machines, has been designed based on customer feedback Razer received after releasing the Core V2. Users wanted a wider external graphics enclosure able to fit larger 3 slot PCIe graphics cards, which the Core X delivers along with better cooling capabilities.

Razer designed the Core X to be future proof with the aforementioned larger enclosure and a 650W power supply that offers enough power to support all graphics cards on the market today and those coming in the future. While this is larger than the Core V2, Razer still designed it with desktop use in mind, so it's relatively slim and compact.

[​IMG]

For those unfamiliar with Razer's Core series, the enclosures are designed to add additional graphics power to a Mac or a PC for tasks like gaming and system intensive workflows. With an external graphics enclosure, a machine not normally capable of handling GPU-intensive tasks can be hooked up to a powerful GPU. You will, of course, need to purchase a GPU alongside the Razer Core accessories - these are just enclosures.

[​IMG]

To use the Razer Core X with a Mac, the machine must be running macOS 10.13.4 or later, and the Razer Core X needs to be equipped with an AMD Radeon card. It is not compatible with NVIDIA cards when used with a Mac at this time.

Pairing the Core X to a Mac is as simple as plugging the accessory into the Thunderbolt port on a compatible machine, with no restarting or fussing with settings needed. 100W passthrough charging is supported, so even the 15-inch MacBook Pro can charge when plugged into the Core X.

Razer designed the Core X to be more affordable than the slimmer V2 enclosure, and it is priced at $299. It can be purchased directly from the Razer Store starting today. Razer is also continuing to sell the Core V2 for $499.

Article Link: Razer Launches New Core X External Graphics Enclosure, Adds Mac Support to Razer Core Lineup

2. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

3. Jerion macrumors member

Good looking piece of kit. At $300 it's still a dubious value proposition- unless you're comparison shopping against higher-spec versions of the same lineup from Apple (i.e. base-model MBP vs high end MBP). In that light, you might conceivably get away with (much) more GPU power for less cash, even with the expense of this box.

Pity that TB2 models are left in the dust, but such is the way of things.

4. Appleaker macrumors 68020

I’m glad Razer are coming out with a more affordable option, and one that supports Mac at the same time.
    Their new Blade 15 also makes the current MacBook Pro look laughable, especially in terms of pricing.

5. Eightarmedpet macrumors regular

Eightarmedpet

V1 are not compatible with Mac due to using an older TB3 chip...

6. 827538 macrumors 65816

Good to see a lower price and both Windows and Mac support. I’m hoping eGPU support continues to improve as its a really useful feature.

7. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Could someone clarify this for me a bit please: what tasks exactly will the egpu take on?
    For example I’ve heard many stories of iMac pro users with terrible sluggish performance in Adobe Lightroom because of all the pixels that need to be pushed around in a photos app on a 5K screen.

I know this issue from my Mac Pro with dual 5k screens in adobe apps. Nightmare slow interfaces everywhere.

In the Mac Pro the one gpu seems a bit overwhelmed with the task and the other one just sits idle instead of helping the first one, for example by pushing one monitor through each gpu.

How would it work in an egpu scenario?

8. Jerion macrumors member

This will vary from app to app; because the GPUs used in this kind of enclosure are expected to be much more powerful than any internal equivalent, it should be a bit like making the system forget the internal GPU even exists. However, there have been reports of rough spots with apps and games rolling out support, so you would be well-advised to research how your particular use case is going to benefit from this.

That said- App interfaces on 5K screens should be a solved problem on its own by now- chances are if you're seeing performance issues there, there should something that can be done to remedy that on your machine. Whether or not that's something for you to solve, or something for Adobe to solve, well...

9. AndyUnderscoreR macrumors 6502

AndyUnderscoreR

I need a Thunderbolt 2 version so I can bypass the unstable D300 cards in my 2013 Mac Pro. The D300s have the same fault as the D500 and D700s that Apple are replacing, but Apple won't admit it and fix them.

10. iZac, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018

iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

i find it strangely amusing that every aspect of the PC industry has shrunk unbelively small, but the GPU still holds the line.

At this rate we’ll be sliding Mac mini’s into a 2019 Mac Pro GPU enclosure, like slices of bread into a toaster.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You think so? That’s the price for just the enclosure. You still have to buy a graphics card.

12. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

That’s because we’re narrowly defining “GPU” as high-end graphics. The integrated graphics in a MacBook or, heck, Apple Watch, have shrunk a ton.

This is an increasingly niche market segment for specialized needs such as gaming, VR, or machine learning. The mass market has no need for it.

13. Huddy macrumors member

100w PD over Thunderbolt means you can charge and play, at least Razer gets that.

14. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

TB2 models are excluded only because Apple has chosen to block this functionality in order to drive sales of TB3 models.

This makes me a bit nervous looking into the future. Will Apple block earlier/current enclosures for future Macs?

In order for eGPUs to reach their full potential, we need all portables [edit: including MBs] to come with TB(3), so that they can all be paired with an eGPU--maximum battery with iGPUs and maximum power with eGPUs.

*I would still prefer power portables to come with an iGPU/dGPU combo.

15. mikecorp Suspended

mikecorp

now you have the power and yet missing the content. o_O Apple is like a dark hole :apple: next to my :cool::cool:

16. 341328 Suspended

17. jacjustjac macrumors regular

jacjustjac

So all I really want to know, is it pronounced “ex”, or “ten”?

18. 827538 macrumors 65816

Don't some of the new Intel chipsets include baked in TB3 support?
    I'm hoping iGPU's continue to really improve, AMD killer potential in this area now.
    I'm always surprised Intel never got into the GPU market, it's been experiencing explosive growth. I guess after they shelved Larrabe they lost interest.

19. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

Maybe the dust in the years... anyway any eGPU is hardware compatible just need Thunderbolt 2-3 Apple adapter. Sadly there is not support in lastest macOS version, but there is an hack for this: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/sc...-sh-one-script-all-solutions-fully-automated/

20. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

Does the iMac Pro come with a decent graphics card for games built in?

21. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Intel does compete in high-end GPGPU with Xeon Phi. For high-end gaming, it's not clear if there's room for a third market contender.

22. geromi912 macrumors regular

Depends on whether an gimped, underclocked gaming vega (Radeon Pro my arse) that consumers more power than a full GP102 is “decent” to you.

23. bernuli macrumors 6502a

Will there be any option to get these EGPUs functioning with the classic Mac Pro? AFAIK there is no thunderbolt PCI card available for the classic.

Is a TB 3 card for the classic worth wishing for or is that not possible?

24. Anson_431 macrumors newbie

I can't help but notice Razer seems to have a habit of "borrowing" designs from brands that are currently or were popular at the time. First MacBook Pro, then now the new Blade looks eerily similar to the XPS lineup from Dell.

Don't get me wrong, I own and am using a Razer Blade Stealth. But then I just can't help but have to point that out...

25. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502a

SecuritySteve

Now if only Razer would release Synapse 3 for mac...