Razer Megalodon and iTunes Surround??

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by iMarcusx, Apr 27, 2011.

1. iMarcusx macrumors member

Hello everyone! I purchased a Razer Megalodon Headset and for some reason iTunes wont let me select Surround Sound. It's a 7.1 headset. Is there anyway to make iTunes see the headset or force it to do surround? Thanks!

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

What are you using to connect the headset with?

Music files are stereo, and have only 2 channels. I do not know why you'd want to output in simulated surround sound, you'd lose audio resolution.

3. iMarcusx thread starter macrumors member

It's a usb headset. Sorry I should've been more clear. I want to watch movies in surround. For some reason iTunes won't let me select surround. It's grayed out. Thanks.

4. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

usb doesn't carry 5.1

If the headset itself only uses usb, that must mean it has a dolby processor that connects to it that utilizes either hdmi or optical to get surround sound. You have to buy a toslink adapter for the optical cable to get it to hook up to the dolby headphones processor. If you'e on a mac pro and its audio card has built in fiber optic port, then use that. Then again if the audio card in the computer already has an optical out, it already probably does dolby headphone.

5. iMarcusx thread starter macrumors member

6. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

That is quite weird. Normally, simulated surround sound headsets use optical cable to get their surround sound. I also only ever heard of optical, hdmi or a series of analogue cables being able to produce it. The only way I know of macs without dedicated audio cards being able to output surround sound is by optical or firewire using the multiple series of analogue cables as I mentioned.

There might be a driver issue that doesn't let osx recognize the processor of the megaloadon. Have you tried hooking it up to any other windows computer of your friends or family?

7. iMarcusx thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The utility program Audio Midi Setup sees it in 7.1. Windows sees it in 7.1 no problem. OSX even sees it as a megalodon. Just not iTunes.