Resolved Razer Naga 2014

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by NotAttention, Jan 4, 2014.

1. NotAttention, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

NotAttention macrumors newbie

Hey guys - I am currently running on OS X Mavericks (OS X 10.9) and I am thinking of purchasing a Razer Naga 2014 EDITION.

Before I purchase this, I would like to know if it is compatible with my version of mac. I looked on the Razer website and it told me that it is compatible up to 10.8, but I would just like to know for sure. If you are currently using a Naga with Mavericks, please tell me - you'd be helping me out a lot.

Thanks in advance :)

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Even if the software were specifically compatible with 10.9, I wouldn't touch Razer Synapse 2.0 or any Razer hardware for that matter with the proverbial 10' pole.

Pick up a Logitech G600 and use the software SteerMouse (costs an extra $20 but is well worth the money because Logitech's Mac software is garbage as well) to control it.

3. NotAttention thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks heaps for the advice, I haven't look too much into the G600 but I will do a bit of research :)

Cheers

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I know Naga is much more complex than Abyssus with all the buttons and inside hardware, so my experience is not very relevant, but still...

I use my Razer with 10.9 with no extra paid or free drivers/software. The only thing I did was turn the mouse tracking speed all the way to the left in the System Preferences to get rid of most the acceleration, and used the physical DPI switch in the mouse itself to set a comfortable tracking speed.

5. NotAttention thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks heaps for that piece of information - you've helped me a lot C:

6. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Yup, agree with this, I put that Razor Synapse software on my machine last year I think it was, firstly the mouse would not work then it was a nightmare to remove from my hard drive, it really imbeds itself in somehow.

I must just say I did get a refund from the retailer :)

7. NotAttention thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice :)

8. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

You can still get this though.....

Razer Deathadder Re-Spawn 3500DPI Gaming Mouse

It is the older version and does not need the Synapse software, bit expensive, but I have two of these on separate machines for over at least a couple of years and they are are still going strong.

9. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Keep in mind, his mouse only has three buttons, so no software is needed. The Naga and G600 have more than 15, and you need a driver of some kind if you want full control over those buttons. That's what Synapse and Logitech Gaming Software, respectively, are supposed to do. However, neither does an exceptionally good job on OS X. This is why I use SteerMouse. It's lightweight, and the license is permanent, so you only have to pay for it once.