RAZR SIM to used locked Iphone - keep unlimited data?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kman1, Nov 3, 2010.

1. kman1 macrumors newbie

If I add the unlimited data plan (don't currently have it) to my RAZR dumb phone then switch the sim to a used locked IPhone 3GS will ATT add the unlimited data plan instead of the 2GB plan?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

As soon as you put the sim in the iPhone, it will recognize it and AT&T will know.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good question, they will add an iphone data plan but not sure if they will add the unlimited or the 200mb or 2GB plan.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

No new unlimited data plans for iPhone since June of this year.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, so they're probably gonna add one of the newer plans.
    I havent been keeping up with the way people have been getting the old unlimited iphone data plans latelly.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

From what I have read, only those (of us) who have them get to keep them.
    If you are new to iPhone or give up your unlimited plan, you are stuck with a measured amount plan.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, but there was a way with activating an iphone 2G on your account and then from the unlimited 2G data you could get the old unlimited plan on newer 3G,3GS and i4 phones or something similar.

8. kman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I was asking because I saw in another thread where there was a way with the IP4 to remove the sim, call att and say you were switching it to a dumb phone with the $30 unlimited plan . After they did that then you could switch the sim back to the smartphone where ATT would detect it and apply the $30 unlimited plan as if you were grandfathered. People seemed to have success doing this within the last 2 months so I wondered if it might also work if you just moved the sim from a dumb phone with the $30 unlimited plan to a used Iphone 3GS.

9. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Yep - when I got my i4 this summer, they tried to switch me to a measured plan from my previous smartphone unlimited plan. I made a big deal about it, and they took about three seconds on their computer to give me my way. I'm already paying for it (and have been for years) - I'm not pleased about the idea of paying the same amount for less data...

10. ihonda macrumors 68000

the trick is over, you cant add a different plan (familydata $10 or nonsmartphone $20) hoping the system catches it and switches you to unlimited $30, i tried it and they changed me to 2GB plan @ $25 :( its messed up because we had 3 iphones with unlimited then added a line thinking theyd budge since its a long established acct + fan etc etc etc and they wont move a inch :/

11. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

If you follow the other thread EXACTLY you will be able to convert to UNLIMITED iPhone data plan even though you didn't have it before. I just (last month) went from a Krzr sim, cut it down, put it in the iPhone 4 and got unlimited on the iPhone within a few hours (I went from 200mb plan to unlimited). It doesn't work for everyone but for most it does. You need a specific plan on the Razr (or any dumbphone) - the one that includes unlimited data and text for $30. If you just get unlimited text and unlimited data separately it won't work.

12. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

That's because you added the wrong dumbphone plan. You have to add the $30 text/data single plan for the dunbphone. That's the only one that works. Most csr's never even heard of that plan. We added it through the OLAM ourselves. I can assure you that as of 8 days ago it worked for my Sister and I did it about 6 weeks ago and it still is there with no problem.

See the attached image. That's the ONLY plan that works this "trick:"

Attached Files:

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What about the trick with activating a 2G iphone on your account?

14. kman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I added the $30 unlimited data and text plan to the RAZR sim and it registered on OLAM. Then switched it to the 3GS. Took a day or so for them to detect the Iphone. Now it shows the 3GS on OLAM but the data plan selected is still the dumb phone $30 plan and I have no data on the 3GS. The only data plans listed for the Iphone are the 200mb and 2GB plans, the unlimited option for Iphone is not listed so I can't select it. I'll wait awhile and see what happens but it doesn't look like this is going to work. Last resort is probably to call cs and hope I get lucky.

15. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

The first time I did it a couple months back I had the same problem. Not sure what the difference was between my 1st and 2nd attempts except the 2nd time I changed to the $30 dumb plan myself in OLAM as opposed to calling CS to do it and I also made a bunch off calls both in and out. The 2nd time I did it, it took just a couple hours. Just because it doesn't work for one person doesn't necessarily mean it no longer works. That has been happening since the beginning.

16. ihonda macrumors 68000

you can add this even on-top of the family unlimited text? i have 5 lines so im confused

17. ihonda macrumors 68000

you have to change the APN.. visit unlockit.co.nz while connected to wifi

18. kman1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you explain how you determined that a bit more? Did it work for you? You seemed to indicate above that you couldn't make the trick work.