RDC doesn't work after 10.5.5 update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RZetlin, Sep 22, 2008.

1. RZetlin macrumors regular

RZetlin

After updating to 10.5.5 my remote desktop connection is not working anymore. I cannot connect to the remote computer.

I know my remote computer is working because I am able to connect to it using my second Windows XP PC.

Does anybody else have this issue and is there a fix for this?

2. RZetlin thread starter macrumors regular

RZetlin

I already installed the client update.

I am unable to install the admin update because I don't have the RDC administration program.

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

The two links that Peace gave you are for Apple Remote Desktop (which allows you to connect from one Mac to another), not for Remote Desktop Connection (which allows you to connect from your Mac to a Windows box). Installing those won't have an impact on how RDC runs, since ARD and RDC use two different protocols to connect.

I haven't seen any reports of RDC not working with 10.5.5. What happens when you try to connect? Do you get an error message? Does it hang? Does it just tell you that the computer isn't reachable?

Have you tried entering different names for your Windows computer in the RDC box? For example, I've got a Windows box in my office, and I could use the following ways to connect to it:
    * nadyne-svc (its short name)
    * nadyne-svc.somethingreallylonghere.microsoft.com (its long name)
    * some IP address that I never remember

I've sometimes found that network issues will require me to switch from my Windows machine's short name to the long name, and I've had to use the IP address a couple of times when our DNS server was down.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

4. RZetlin thread starter macrumors regular

RZetlin

My Mac doesn't want to connect with the Windows shared folders now.

I tired connecting to the server using the IP address 192.168.0.10.

Mac states that I don't have permission to access this server.

Any ideas what is going on and how to fix it?

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Can you show me a screenshot of this error?

Are you connected to this machine via another RDC connection? If you're already connected with one RDC session (such as from your other Windows machine), then you won't be able to connect with another one for the same username. Make sure that you don't have any active RDC connections.

Also, make sure that you're connecting using the same username/password, and that the username is listed as a user that can connect to the machine in Windows XP (if I recall correctly, that's in Control Panel -> System -> Remote in XP).

Regards,
    Nadyne.

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Have you by chance tried TSclientX (with Options > "Attach to Console" checked)?

I have not tried it with the exact error you described, but can confirm that TSclientX can get you around Microsoft's very useful "maximum number of logins exceeded".

7. wcnngt macrumors newbie

same problem here

I had exactly the same problem. RDC 2.0 from Microsoft was working fine until I updated to 10.5.5, together with some RDC update that I can not remember. But I was surprised to see apple updates RDC in its own software update program. Now if I type windows machine name, it won't work. But ip address seems to work. I reinstalled RDC2.0, but it didn't help.

8. RZetlin thread starter macrumors regular

RZetlin

Wow. :eek:

After weeks of troubleshooting the issue on and off I finally figured out want was blocking my RDC connection.

It looks like the third party firewall Netbarrier X5 was blocking my RDC connection.

It seemed the firewall had automatically blocked the IP address I was using.

Once I unblocked the IP I was able to remotely connect to my Windows XP desktop.

9. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Just wondering what you folks do with RDC for OS X when reaching the infamous "maximum number of logins exceeded" screen and therefore cannot login to a remote machine. Is there an option such as the one I mentioned above with TSclientX to "attach to console"? I believe RDC for Windows has such a feature but do not see it in RDC for OS X.