RDC going slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nitro1, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

I am using a Mac pro to connect to a PC in my apartment and when i connect to it from my mac and i tty to surf the web it rums very slow. The pages lag when i try to scroll. I have a good internet connection and the mac is just fine. So is there anything i can do to increase the speed of the program.

Thanks

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Do you mean you are sharing your PCs internet connection with the Mac Pro? Or you are literally using the PC over a VNC connection (remote desktop)?

Because Remote Desktop will be slow and jumpy over most connections. There are better RDCs than others, but it will definitely depend on the one you are using.

To Help, you can try not using 32 bit color mode, don't let the backgrounds load, etc. This may save some bandwidth. Also changing Screen resolution to something larger...like 1024 X 768 so you don't have to render as much across the network could help a bit too.

3. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a certain software you would use for this. Also i am controlling the Pc over the remote desktop. I can try making the resolution lower and i will work on the background stuff. But i do have a question. If i change the background stuff will i have to change it back when i use the pc desktop itself. I use the pc when i am on my TV but when i am in my room and i want to download something i just RDC it and download it on the PC and i can leave that on all night and not worry about it.

Any idea's

Thanks

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

So, for RDC, I use the client Chicken of the VNC on the OS X machine. It offers settings int he preferences that allow you to not use 32 bit color, and it automaticalloy removes the desktop background when you log int over RDC. Once you disconnect, the desktop is unchanged from your original pc settings.

I'm not sure which part you are wanting to know how to do? Sharing your pc's connection to the internet?

IF so, then you can do Internet sharing on the pc, then connect to the internet on the mac through your pc.

I'll have to look up the specific setup for you, but all i'm going to do is google it.

Basically it looks like this.

Modem ---> PC (for main internet connection)
    PC ---> Mac (Using internet sharing)

Since I"m not familiar with your current setup, it's hard to tell you where to go with it.

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

6. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

RDC is what i use now and again the problem is that it lag's. When i go on the internet with my PC to look up a download or software for the PC so it then downloads just to the PC and i do not have to spend time transferring it from the mac to the PC. It lag's. It is not terrible but i think i can run better. So when i am on the internet on my Mac through the PC. (i am on my mac RDC'ing into my PC and surfing the internet on it and downloading.) SO when i am on the mac and i am doing this the bak ground and the everything lag's and takes a few seconds to load properly. I am just trying to find out if there is something i need to do or turn off.

I will try that program Chicken and see what it does.

Thanks thus far.

7. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can share the computer with the internet just fine. But it lag's. I want to stop it from lagging so bad. If i scroll on a website for a program or a download i am looking for it will lag then all of a sudden drop to the bottom of the page, making it quite hard to find stuff.

Any Idea's

8. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I guess my question is better stated...Why are you trying to surf the web on your pc desktop through your mac?

Why not just surf through your mac?

Maybe this will help me better help you.