RDC - Mac connecting to Vista?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FortWorthMac, May 13, 2009.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Well my trial license of RealVNC expired today so I started looking into another way to connect remotely to my Vista Laptop from my iMac.

I came across Remote Desktop Connection (mac) and installed it. I enabled the settings in Vista to "allow this computer to be controlled remotely" and disabled the firewall.

My problem is that I cannot successfully connect to the PC.

I am able to ping my laptop from the Mac just fine. I have tried connecting with both the computer name and IP address.

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks

2. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I have trouble with this to!!

J

3. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I came across something this evening that I DID get to work and it's free as well. It's called CrossLoop http://www.crossloop.com/

It doesn't seem as fast as RealVNC but it works and it's free.

I have no affiliation with them, I just simply read about it on Lifehacker.

LMK what you think.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68030

fhall1

Make sure you've enabled remote desktop sharing on the Vista machine...I don't have the procedure in front of me right now, but 10 seconds of Googling should find it.

5. jrmt macrumors newbie

VNC versus RDC

Why not stick with VNC, but use another free, VNC client on your Mac to connect to Vista, such as one listed here: http://the.taoofmac.com/space/VNC

If you switch to an RDC client, note that it's a completely different (proprietary, Microsoft) protocol that it is using, whereas VNC is an open-source protocol.

6. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Are you using the Remote Desktop Connection app, or Remote Desktop Connection 2 for mac? I believe that the first version cannot connect to vista do to lower security. I forget where I read this, but if you're not using RDC2 for Mac, you may want to upgrade.

Also, if you want a free version of VNC, I'd suggest UltraVNC on your windows computer, available at http://www.uvnc.com/.

7. GregE macrumors 6502

I use both Real VNC and RDC to connect to Vista PC's from my iMac. Personally I like Real VNC better since it doesn't really take over the PC like RDC does.

If you are still having problems with RDC, go to your start menu and right click on Computer and go to properties. Choose remote settings and then make sure it looks like the image below. I would also go into the Select Users... setting and make sure your user name is authorized. I remember that being a problem on a few systems at my office.

[​IMG]

8. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now that's weird. I have nothing below ADVANCED when I open that window. I'll have to check to see if I have Remote Desktop installed.

I'm off to work so I'll take a look at that tomorrow morning.

Thanks
    David

9. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

On second thought, I am running Vista Home on this laptop. Remote Desktop may not be available...........

10. GregE macrumors 6502

You are correct. RDC is not part of the home editions of Vista.

11. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

With VNC being "open source" can one use the free RealVNC client to connect to the free UltraVNC?

I've of course downloaded it and installed it and tried it but I cannot get it to connect. So before I do a bunch of troubleshooting I wanted to see if the 2 different apps will "talk" to one another.

Thanks

12. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Yes, you should be able to connect to any VNC server with any VNC client, assuming the VNC implementations follow the VNC standard.

Make sure you have an exception set up in your windows firewall for Port 5900.

13. macdude710 macrumors newbie

RDC, mac to vista pro

Hello,

I have spent a few hours looking on the forum for help connecting a macbook with a work computer (xp pro) and have similar problems as the OP. i unfortunately don't have the option to use another application for the connection because it is issued from work and no alternative given. i can establish a vpn connection through the "network connections" tab and it seems to work fine but when i open the RDC application is cannot find the windows based computer. it is hit or miss sometimes if this works, it mostly works on my laptop with snow leopard but never has worked with my imac running leopard. is there an issue with the RDC or airport extreme or mac? i realize that quite a open ended question but i was wondering if you have any tips or set up checklists to make sure i am good to go on the mac end of the connection. i assume since i can establish a vpn connection its good on my end (for the most part). thank you!