Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

rdio_logo-250x96.png
After its plans for free music streaming were detailed ahead of the launch of iTunes Radio last month, Rdio is set to launch a free version of its service today on iOS, reports The Verge.

The service is a free version of its "Station" feature, and is available for users of the service's mobile apps in the United States, Canada, and Australia, and features unlimited listening to a wide variety of music that is available on the service.
Starting today, Rdio's radio feature, which it calls Stations, is free to non-subscribers on its mobile apps in the United States, Canada, and Australia. Previously, a user who reached the end of Rdio's 14-day free trial and decided not to pay could no longer listen to music inside the app. Now that user can listen to an unlimited number of artist, album, genre, and track-based stations, in addition to "You FM," Rdio's personalized take on a listener's tastes. It comes two months after the company rolled out a similar offering on the web.
Rdio was updated with highly personalized radio stations for its premium users in August, and the move to offer free unlimited music streaming comes after Pandora announced in August that it would be removing its 40-hour free listening limit ahead of the launch of Apple's iTunes Radio.

Rdio is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Rdio Launches Free Music Streaming Service with Support for iOS Devices

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Nice. I like iTunes Radio, though. If only because I can 'star' a song and whatnot from anywhere on the device. That's not Rdio's fault, of course.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I will check it out.

Speaking of Pandora, has anyone noticed that they now play two back-to-back ads? They used to play one ad at a time

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I will check it out.

Speaking of Pandora, has anyone noticed that they now play two back-to-back ads? They used to play one ad at a time

Their ads are painful in the app. Things pop up everywhere when you least expect it, with tiny little 'x''s to close the ads. Probably just UIWebViews. It's garbage.

iTunes Radio does it right (granted, Apple has the money/deals to not feel the need to make the experience such crap, but still).

stark93

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Can someone help me understand this?

Does this mean Rdio is going to allow people to listen for free?

seecoolguy

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
was a pandora user, but stopped because I hated the ads, and generally the music discovery wasn't to my appeal. It seemed that I skipped more music than I liked, on iTunes Match, it's the other way around, I rarely skip music. and I like that you can tune station to be more discovery or more hits

Time Less

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Planet Earth
Incorrect. Register and you will be offered to either pay for a subscription or go free into only stations listening mode. Try it and report back!

What is station listening mode (I'm new to rdio)? I just installed, registered, and I'm able to pick an album and listen to any track, plus forward, skip, and rewind. Very nice free functions. Hopefully I'll stay this way.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
What is station listening mode (I'm new to rdio)? I just installed, registered, and I'm able to pick an album and listen to any track, plus forward, skip, and rewind. Very nice free functions. Hopefully I'll stay this way.

You probably got your 30 days free trial with full functionality when signing up. After that, you will only be able to listen to 30 second snippets without paying when selecting a specific track.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.