Rdio Launches Free Music Streaming Service with Support for iOS Devices

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 3, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    After its plans for free music streaming were detailed ahead of the launch of iTunes Radio last month, Rdio is set to launch a free version of its service today on iOS, reports The Verge.

The service is a free version of its "Station" feature, and is available for users of the service's mobile apps in the United States, Canada, and Australia, and features unlimited listening to a wide variety of music that is available on the service.
    Rdio was updated with highly personalized radio stations for its premium users in August, and the move to offer free unlimited music streaming comes after Pandora announced in August that it would be removing its 40-hour free listening limit ahead of the launch of Apple's iTunes Radio.

Rdio is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Rdio Launches Free Music Streaming Service with Support for iOS Devices

2. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Nice. I like iTunes Radio, though. If only because I can 'star' a song and whatnot from anywhere on the device. That's not Rdio's fault, of course.

3. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

I will check it out.

Speaking of Pandora, has anyone noticed that they now play two back-to-back ads? They used to play one ad at a time

4. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Their ads are painful in the app. Things pop up everywhere when you least expect it, with tiny little 'x''s to close the ads. Probably just UIWebViews. It's garbage.

iTunes Radio does it right (granted, Apple has the money/deals to not feel the need to make the experience such crap, but still).

5. stark93 macrumors member

stark93

Can someone help me understand this?

Does this mean Rdio is going to allow people to listen for free?

6. seecoolguy macrumors regular

seecoolguy

was a pandora user, but stopped because I hated the ads, and generally the music discovery wasn't to my appeal. It seemed that I skipped more music than I liked, on iTunes Match, it's the other way around, I rarely skip music. and I like that you can tune station to be more discovery or more hits

7. Ann P macrumors 68020

Yes, it's already free as of right now. Just downloaded the app.

8. stark93 macrumors member

stark93

But you have to pay for a service that's like $9-$15?

9. Ghostbusters macrumors regular

Incorrect. Register and you will be offered to either pay for a subscription or go free into only stations listening mode. Try it and report back!

10. stark93 macrumors member

stark93

Oh I see! Ok thanks!

11. audiokid macrumors newbie

As an aside, how do you pronounce Rdio? Is it just R, then Dio?

12. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I pronounce it just like that. So, I believe, you are correct.

For me, Spotify and iTunes Radio are enough for me.

13. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

What is station listening mode (I'm new to rdio)? I just installed, registered, and I'm able to pick an album and listen to any track, plus forward, skip, and rewind. Very nice free functions. Hopefully I'll stay this way.

14. lars666 macrumors 6502a

You probably got your 30 days free trial with full functionality when signing up. After that, you will only be able to listen to 30 second snippets without paying when selecting a specific track.