Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month Pandora announced that it acquired "key assets" and employees from Rdio for $75 million. Tonight, Rdio began emailing its users to let them know that it would officially shut down on December 22, 2015 at 5 p.m. PST.

rdio.png

Rdio will also let its former subscribers download an archive of their favorite music and playlists in various formats so that they can import them into their new music streaming service of choice. The service also created a timeline that allows users to see their "life on Rdio", including a user's most played song and album and the first playlist they created.

The streaming service also shared its own timeline. Rdio revealed that its first subscriber signed up on August 3, 2010, that the first played song was Katy Perry's "California Girls", the most played album was Drake's "Nothing Was The Same", the most played song was Bruno Mars' "When I Was Your Man", the most popular playlist was Dave Novak's "1000 (April 2015)" and the company's favorite comment was "Very touching tribute to turning things down for reasons we forget," regarding DJ Snake and Lil Jon's "Turn Down For What."

On its export page, Rdio says the files it's allowing users to download are metadata that'll make it easier for users to restore their collections in their next music streaming service. It also points users to Soundiiz and StAMP, two services that allow users to directly transfer their collections to their next music streaming service. Finally, Rdio warns that it doesn't know when its exporting website will go down, so users should download their collections as soon as possible.

Rdio subscribers can download their collection and view their timeline at Rdio's farewell page.

Article Link: Rdio to Officially Shut Down on December 22, Will Allow Users to Download Collection Archive

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
"the most played song was Bruno Mars' "When I Was Your Man""

I can't believe that whiny, obnoxious song was the most played song. Every time I hear it I want to gouge my ears out!

And I do like a lot of other modern music. That song grates on me, though. The whininess. The whininess!!

Reactions: vmistery

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I'd say Spotify just gave them no chance, but Rdio's marketing strategy was horrendous.

They won't be missed...at least not by the general public who likely has no idea what Rdio was.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
"the most played song was Bruno Mars' "When I Was Your Man""

I can't believe that whiny, obnoxious song was the most played song. Every time I hear it I want to gouge my ears out!

And I do like a lot of other modern music. That song grates on me, though. The whininess. The whininess!!
its almost as if different people have different tastes compared to you

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The great streaming service purge begins as Spotify and Apple Music become the Pepsi and Coke of the music streaming industry.

Rdio filed for bankruptcy protection last month because they simply weren't making any profit.

Guess what... Spotify doesn't either.

That doesn't sound like Coke or Pepsi at all... although I know what you are trying to say. :)

Streaming music is a terrible business to be in. All the money you make gets spent back on licenses fees (and then some!)

The only companies who will be able to run a streaming music service are giant companies like Apple, Google, Amazon, etc. They can afford to run it at a loss if they had to... since they make money in other areas.

But Spotify's ENTIRE business is streaming music. Yikes.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
The only companies who will be able to run a streaming music service are giant companies like Apple, Google, Amazon, etc. They can afford to run it at a loss if they had to... since they make money in other areas.
They would only run it at a loss while there is competition from the likes of Spotify. Once that competition is eliminated the prices would probably increase to make it sustainable.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
They would only run it at a loss while there is competition from the likes of Spotify. Once that competition is eliminated the prices would probably increase to make it sustainable.

I dunno... can you see Apple charging $15 or $20 a month for Apple Music?

Sure they could charge whatever they wanted if there was no competition left.

But that price just seems way too high.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I dunno... can you see Apple charging $15 or $20 a month for Apple Music?

Sure they could charge whatever they wanted if there was no competition left.

But that price just seems way too high.
I couldn't see them running Apple Music as a permanent loss leader, that's not in their DNA. I'm not suggesting that Apple Music is actually running at a loss because Apple is already losing money during the 3 month trial period and it doesn't make a lot of sense to enter the market if they are still going to lose money once the customer starts paying for the service.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I couldn't see them running Apple Music as a permanent loss leader, that's not in their DNA. I'm not suggesting that Apple Music is actually running at a loss because Apple is already losing money during the 3 month trial period and it doesn't make a lot of sense to enter the market if they are still going to lose money once the customer starts paying for the service.

Yeah... Apple probably is making money.

Apple has 7 million paying customers right now... so that's at least $70 million a month coming in.

How much does it cost to run?

You're right that Apple loses 3 months worth of profits on the free trial... but Spotify loses way more on their free tier. Doesn't Spotify have 80 million free customers? Those free ones are killing them. Spotify has to pay each time a free customer streams a song. Yikes.

My point was simply this: Apple could lose money on Apple Music because they make so much more money on hardware anyway.

But when Spotify loses money... their entire business is devastated.

That's quite a big difference.

Wired had this to say:

"The future for Apple Music isn’t just about music. It’s about the iPhone, Siri, Apple TV, and CarPlay. Apple doesn’t need Apple Music to win to succeed; it just needs to help Apple sell more phones, tablets, TV boxes, and whatever else Apple decides to invent down the road. The irony is that, the same reasons that Apple isn’t dependent on Apple Music for its success as a business make it all the more likely Apple Music will win anyway."

icehockey77

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011

Amazon barely makes a profit.

http://www.ibtimes.com/amazon-nearl...t-make-money-investors-dont-seem-care-1513368

I am sad to see Rdio go. Their stations were always great, and helped me get through a work day. I may go back to Pandora. I don't need on demand. I'm busy at work, I don't need to think about what song I want to hear next once this album or playlist ends.

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
The great streaming service purge begins as Spotify and Apple Music become the Pepsi and Coke of the music streaming industry.

LOL... That's a joke right. More like Pandora and Spotify...If there were a third brand like Nuka-Cola, that would be Google Play Music. (My personal go-to.) Everything else will die off. Apple music will be dead within 2 years... i promise you. THe fact that Apple is giving away subs to its employees with beats headphones (another dying brand), ought to be a red flag to you.

Reactions: Hastings101

icehockey77

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
LOL... That's a joke right. More like Pandora and Spotify...If there were a third brand like Nuka-Cola, that would be Google Play Music. (My personal go-to.) Everything else will die off. Apple music will be dead within 2 years... i promise you. THe fact that Apple is giving away subs to its employees with beats headphones (another dying brand), ought to be a red flag to you.
You must be fun at parties.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I was a long-time subscriber to Rdio, and only left when my 3-month trial to Apple Music expired and I signed up for a family membership. Rdio always had the best design when it came to their web, iOS, and Mac apps, and that kind of thing mattered to me. Spotify had more music, but Rdio had what I wanted, so it was good enough. I'm sad to see them shut down.

mayerryan

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Apple could take a few lessons about their interface. It was way easier to use, easier to find new music and new releases, easier to play, repeat, skip. Everything about it was more intuitive. I am a total apple fan boy, but Rdio was way more intuitive that Apple Music, and overall easier to use. I am really going to miss it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.