Rdio

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dhjapple89, Jun 30, 2010.

1. dhjapple89 macrumors member

Rdio is a new way to listen to music over the Internet. It blow Pandora out of the water!!! Pandora is great and all, you stream music, listen in the background all for free, but there is a catch....YOU MUST BE CONNECTED TO INTERNET VIA 3G OR WIFI.

With Rdio, you can stream all your music, and you can sync your music to you iPhone/iPod touch and listen to it when your offline (like on an Airplane, train, or subway).

Currently it is invite only because they are new and testing it, but it is excellent. You can stream unlimited music for $4.99/month on just your computer, or for $9.99/month you can stream on your computer and sync to your mobile device.

Check it out! Rdio

2. coelacanth macrumors 6502

I'm testing it now. I don't know if I can justify spending $9.99/mo, but their system works pretty well on desktop and they just released an update for iPhone app with background playback.

PM me if you want an invitation.

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Okay.. so to stream you have to be connected like Pandora.

Or you can download music, but have to do so while on the internet I'm sure and use up space on your iPhone... I think there is an app like that.. oh yeah, the built in iPod.

Pandora is free... this is $9.99/month.

Am I missing something here or is this stupid?

4. LoganT macrumors 68020

Rdio is more comparable to Rhapsody, than Pandora.

5. broncopde macrumors 6502

Indeed. I have personally grown to like Pandora more, especially when I'm mobile, because I get to listen to new music I've never heard before. If I had Rdio or Rhapsody I would be more likely to listen to the same stuff all the time and I'd like to continue to broaden my musical horizons. That's just me though. To each his own.

Oh, and as previously said, Pandora is free. So...

6. coelacanth macrumors 6502

This is very close to my take on rdio. For some people, probably it's a lot better than Pandora or LastFm, but I'm not sure if I'm one of them.

Also after Hulu announced their all-you-can-eat subscription plan for $9.99, all-you-can-eat music for the same price looks a bit too steep for me. $4.99 isn't really an option because that lacks mobile playback.

7. broncopde macrumors 6502

True. Hopefully that will bring down the prices of these music services/maybe they will take Hulu's idea and offer the service at $4.99 but with ads (because they are ad-less now, right?).

8. dhjapple89 thread starter macrumors member

Your right the iPod does that, but you have to pay for EACH song (or steal the ILLEGALLY) this is LEGAL and wouldn't you rather spend $9.99/month for unlimited music than spend $9.99/iTunes album????

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

10. coelacanth macrumors 6502

I agree. I think $4.99 including mobile play is the max I feel comfortable paying.

11. dhjapple89 thread starter macrumors member

Rdio isn't just streaming music...it's also a cross between twitter/facebook. You have people you follow, and people follow you (by request) and you can see what they listen to and find other types of music (like Pandora)

12. LoganT macrumors 68020

I listen to Pandora and Last.FM because I want to learn about new music.