RDP / Citrix alternatives or improvement

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sesshi, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I need to access a variety of computers via Microsoft RDP and Citrix Presentation Server Client. The PS is reached via a Juniper SA2000.

The problem is that on an Air, it's - by a noticeable but acceptable degree on Citrix, and to a larger degree under RDP - slower than even my UX (Core Solo 1.33GHz) when using either method of access.

On the Citrix side, I'm using the latest (UB) OS X release of the Presentation Server Client and also Network Connect (the Juniper box is on the latest software release). On RDP I'm running the beta native client as I don't like nursing furnaces.

Access is via broadband ranging from 8Mo/800k to 1Mo/128k as well as 256K BGAN and 3G when I can get the Air to dial out to 3G properly through the N95.

I know it's not a link issue as my UX works OK on the same link, and so does a desktop I have here. Is there a way I can improve performance of either on the Air? I can't claim to be familiar with the ins and outs of the client software as I'm used to it just working on Windows.

2. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Almost a year later and finally an update to the release RDP client, and I'm not really any nearer regarding the comparative turtleness of the OS X versions of the software.

Any ideas on how I can speed up the RDP / Citrix sessions beyond the usual session tuning (settings are practically identical as my PC's doing the same thing but the Mac noticeably lags behind)?

3. mongrol macrumors regular

Can you describe the turtleness more? Is it screen draw/refresh that's slow? Slow response from clicking/typing, logging in. Does it get faster with smaller screen size or bit depth?

On ICA are you definitely using the Native Client? Is the PS fronted by a web front end (Citrix Access Gateway) as it might be forcing the Java client.

If its general snailness, slow redraws and response and its affecting both Citrix and RDP then the finger has to be pointing at the VPN tunnel.

4. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

The conditions are the same re: the VPN tunnel - besides, the issue is present, i.e. the inferiority of the OS X versions over Windows, when on a local network.

Tested at same colour depth, all clients native, and yes - screen redraws and general response is noticeably slower under OS X for both RDP and Citrix, although potentially much more noticeable in RDP.

5. tyamadajp macrumors newbie

I can confirm this. MS-RDP client on OSX is bit sluggish in responsiveness compared to its Windows/PC version. I can notice a small delay in various mouse operations (button click, range selection, mouseover events, etc...). It's a very small delay around 100-200ms, but noticeable and really frustrating from HCI perspective.

Since I'm comparing OSX and Windows running on BootCamp, it's only software that's different. I have not yet found out the cause, but I'm now trying by "renice"ing RDP process to -20.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use the microsoft provided RDP client and found it functional. Its probably faster then the other client I use so I'm happy with it. Most of the time, I'm in fedora and use kdp-rdp client and that can be much slower believe it or not.