RDP from Windows Vista Home Premium to Mac with Office 2011

Discussion in 'macOS' started by boris957, Dec 4, 2010.

1. boris957, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

boris957 macrumors newbie

OK so I just upgraded my Mac to Office 2011, which includes Remote Desktop Connection (RDP). I know that I cannot connect TO a Windows Vista Home Premium computer from the Mac, but according to the MS help files, I can connect FROM Vista Home Premium to the Mac.

I'm running both computers on the same wireless network, yet the Vista machine cannot connect to the Mac....can't even ping the Mac IP, as a matter of fact. The IPv4 addresses that show are the router IPs (from ipconfig), and they of course begin 192.168.xxx.xxx.

Has anyone had any success, and if so, what do I need to do to make this happen?

Thank you.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Say what? Clearly, you did not bother to read what Microsoft has to say about Remote Desktop Connection for Mac 2. If you had, then you would know that RDC allows Macs users to connect to Windows computers from their Macs.

3. boris957, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

boris957 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are a rude a**hole.

You might want to READ what I wrote.

Then, you might want to READ WHAT MICROSOFT SAYS ON ITS RDP FOR MAC SUPPORT SITE re: supported Windows versions.

4. iVoid macrumors 65816

Are you sure that's the right link? Nowhere on that page does it say it will connect to a Mac.

And RDC for Mac has never allowed remote connections INTO the Mac. Nothing in those FAQs seems to indicate it does now.

To control a Mac from Windows you need to get a VNC Client for the windows system and enable Screen Sharing on the Mac and setup the VNC password.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You need to read your own links. Microsoft lists fifteen (15) operating systems that RDC will connect to. Of those 15 are versions of Windows, zero (0) are versions of MacOS X.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You cannot use Microsoft's RDC to connect to your mac, regardless of what source computer you're using.

RDC is a proprietary format that only works with MS products.

MisterMe is correct, even though you were quite rude to him