RDP Question for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GaresTaylan, May 25, 2011.

1. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone. I have what is probably a simple and stupid question.

My boss has been preaching Windows 7 tablets to upper management for awhile at the company I work for. He is very anti-apple everything and I have been trying to show him some of the advantages of the iPad and the great enterprise apps out for it as well as some of the security advantages of iOS over Android (we have a ton of Droids in the field, and they are riddled with issues far too often it seems).

One thing I was trying to demo to him the other day was RDP functionality from the iPad. Our company uses Dameware for accessing windows machines and apple remote desktop for mac to mac functionality.

While this is actually probably a nice feature to have... I have noticed that every RDP app I use - when I remote into the machine even if the end user is logged in I will be at a ctrl+alt+del page and have to confirm the end user's password to see their screen. Info Security will never agree to the end user needing to provide us their password to see their screen. The local admin password doesn't work.

So my question is - does anyone know of a way around this? Is it a setting I would need to have network administrators change? Something that would need to be built into the Windows 7 image before the machines are deployed in the field?

2. unbiased macrumors newbie

unbiased

Remote Management

I am not familiar with DameWare, but it sounds like a Desktop Authority (By Script Logics) or SCCM (By Microsoft) a remote administration/workstation management type of software.

Apple Remote Desktop uses VNC and I will guess DameWare (like Script Logics and Microsoft) use RDP, they just confgure it through the domain to force user approval before a remote session can be established on the remote connection.

And alternative is to install VNC (I like TightVNC) server on the workstation to host a "Apple Remote Desktop" like connection. I really like the Jump RDP/VNC app for both the iPhone and iPad.

I work as a Network Manager for a school district and I consider myself fairly unbiased - I see benefits in both Apple and Microsoft - our schools are a mixture of both - I must say that usage of Apple is great for an environment which does not rely heavily on collaboration, but once you need centralized management - it is difficult to make Apple work correctly.

We have teachers requesting iPad carts for their students and we are working to implement them; however, I really feel document management for our students will be a real struggle on iPads... we use Microsoft authentication (A.D.) for everything on our network and unfortunately right now when an iPad changes between students hands day in and out - access to remote documents is near impossible with out a shared storage area... (students will forget to log out of each app saving WebDav storage info or what not giving the next student access to their files etc...) A 1:1 it could maybe work, but remote management of an iPad is also not possible so I can sympathize on both sides - but from a network management perspective we think about security, central management and collaboration - this is where mobile devices right now need improvement.

3. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Very well said.

4. TonyMil macrumors member

RDP via MS AD will always (on a network/domain) require a login.
    It sounds like you want to live monitor the user from the iPad. Visit netop.com and see what remote applications they have for iPad.

5. unbiased macrumors newbie

unbiased

I was under the impression they were requesting to turn off the "prompt locally logged on user for approval" before connection... this is a A.D. or can be anyways - property controlled by the domain.

6. GaresTaylan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies everyone. Great information here.