Re-activate 3GS after iPhone 4 failure?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Jun 24, 2010.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Hi folks. I am currently out of town on business (and will be for a few more weeks). I pre-ordered my iPhone 4, it arrived at home and my wife turned around and shipped it to me at my hotel. I will get it tomorrow.

Here's my question:

With all the problems that have been reported (reception, yellow and sensor issues) I'm concerned about activating my phone. If I activate and find that I have a problem, is it possible to re-activate my 3GS? Effectively switching BACK to my 3GS?

Thanks in advance!

2. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

I think before you can reactivate you'll need a new sim as the other ceases to be funcational, I could be wrong but again I think that is how it works.

3. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

I'd advise getting the phone and setting it up before you start talking about this. I have no issue with sensors, no issues with yellow, and no issues with receiption on mine. In fact the reception on mine thus far is 1000% better than my 3GS was. I have yet to drop a call.

Every year there's a handful of people who complain about a discolored screen, light leaks or some other thing that they seem to have to find wrong with the new generation device. I've owned all 4 iPhones and never one of these types of issues.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You will need to get a new mini-SIM from the AT&T store, but unless you're completely wiped your 3GS, you shouldn't need to re-activate. You just pop the new SIM into your 3GS and it should be ready to go.

If you have wiped your 3GS, then you just reactivate and you're good to go.

Don't panic. More likely than not, your iPhone 4 will be just fine. This is the fourth time this cyclical hysteria of people finding "massive" iPhone failures has happened. It never fails. In the end, the threads die off, the bloggers and "analysts" get bored and find some other shiny thing to speculate about whether x chip was manufactured incorrectly or not, no massive recall of "defective" iphones ever occurs, and yet somehow the mast majority continue to use their iPhones just fine.

Next to come are the threads of people who've exchanged their iPhone 4s a half-dozen times or more after finding some teensy quirk that drives them OCD-crazy, and don't get the hint after the 9001st exchange that their expectations on hyper-perfection will simply not be realized. I guarantee it: this happens every time and ends up amounting to nothing. Though, it might take a bit longer this time around for exchange unit inventory to populate the stores.

I think the best advice anyone can give people who are waiting in line, obsessing over defects, or doing any of the other classic iPhone-launch-OCD behaviors, is to just relax, and chill a bit. All these lines that have formed, and most the complaints about network performance tned to ultimately rest on the fact that so many people are obsessing about this particular piece of expensive metal and glass. At the end of the day, it's just not that important.

And if you're one of those people who are about to fire back with "WELL FOR A $599 DEVICE IT BETTER BE PERFECT!!!" - then you're exactly the demographic I'm talking to. You're parting with hundreds of dollars and you're incredibly stressed over it. Is it worth $599 and all this hassle to not be happy?

It took me being separated from my iPhone - and having no mobile device to speak of - for a week and half to come to that realization. It's amazing how being unplugged for a while resets your mindset, and helps you be way less stressed over things. The iPhone is an amazing tool and I still wouldn't prefer to leave it behind, but I'm not not going to let it rule my life, nor will I deprive myself of sleep to stand in an outrageously long line and probably (not) get one.

5. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Thanks for the replies guys.

SP: I take your point for sure. However, my main concern is that, while on business, I will not be able to make and take calls (I will obsess about the slightly mis-colored "i" in "iPhone" written on the back of the phone when I return home :p). I know the simple answer is to wait until I get home but, c'mon! It's a new iPhone!

I will not wipe my 3GS as it is Jailbroken and set up just like I like. Part of me is a little sad to be letting it go actually. It's been a good phone and, unlike a non-jailbroken iPhone, is very personalized.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, I would need a new (micro) SIM and and adaptor to re-activate my 3GS? Or would I simply plug into iTune and go through the activation process again? The latter option sounds correct to me but I wanted to be sure.

Hopefully, my new iPhone 4 will be perfect and this will be academic anyway!

6. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

No, if you have a failure and want to go back to your iPhone 3GS. You just need to get a new Mini SIM (same type as in your iPhone 3GS today. There is no need for a Micro SIM tray.

If you get lucky you can request one of the new AT&T SIM cards. It comes as a Mini SIM but can snap down to a Micro SIM. So you could use it in your iPhone 3GS and then when you sort out any iPhone 4 issues, just snap down the Mini SIM to a Micro SIM and put it into your iPhone 4. It will already be active so it will only require a brief tether to activate the iPhone 4.

Just a note, both of my iPhone 4 units arrived in perfect condition! :)

Dave

7. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

You would have to call ATT and they will ZAP your old 3GS sim back to life.

I don't understand all the essays. lol

8. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

9. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

stop reading the whining posts on theses forums. all these "issues" you speak of are very isolated. you are going to enjoy the new iphone, its amazing!

10. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Buzz wrong answer. Once the SIM is deactivated, AT&T will not allow it to be reused. :eek: It has been that way since the first GSM phone and AT&T Blue / Cingular / AT&T Mobility days / you get the picture and the reason for the essay.

Deactivated SIM = very light paperweight.

Dave

11. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

This is the best advice and the only advice you should listen to. You don't want to go and get a new SIM every time you want to switch back and forth between your 3gs and 4. This way you can use the same SIM in both of these phones. I'm keeping my 3gs and I plan on putting my SIM in there and using that phone when I go to the beach or other high risk situations.