Re booting from ex HD:: FW vs US2

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

Have an old Pismo that I CCC ed the OS to an ext HD on FW.
    I'm concidering buying a new Macbook ( No FW) Obvioulsy I wont need my old OS which was Tiger.... But I' like to use a few of my old apps like Photoshop
    Grafic converter... transfer some files, Office, etc. I also have my iPhoto library and my iTunes libary on the ext.HD..... The Iomega HD does have USB2 connections.
    Will it still work or do I have to "reformat" eeeek! Or maybe I'l just have to buy a Pro with FW
    Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

If you buy a new Mac, you can't boot an older OS on it, even externally. Especially since your Tiger clone is PPC only, and nowadays Macs are Intel only.
    But you can boot from USB HDDs on Intel Macs.

3. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

Most apps can be pulled from an old system, you just have to make sure that Rosetta is installed on the new SL machine, or else your PPC apps wont work. Some don't have support at all. I remember reading somewhere that PPC versions of Photoshop don't have support for SL.

4. Fishtalk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks you guy's..... But finally the most important is my iphoto and iTunes library...... all my souvenirs/ Can these be transfered with out too much hassel/