Re: CalDigit

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Dec 31, 2008.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Outta curiosity..

Does anyone know what those additional ports are used for? I'm not talking about the two iPass connectors on the rear of the card or the three external ports for HD Element. I am referring to those black IDC connectors that don't appear to have any labelling other than JP1, JP3 and JP4, also there's a little white one.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks. :)

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

I opened the Getting Started Manual.pdf, and they look like I²C/SPI interface connectors. They're used to attach an LCD status indicator/Bus Monitor (enclosure data). Passes status data to/from an enclosure to the card, and the card to an LCD status indicator.

In the case of the HDElement/RAID card, the enclosure data is passed over the RJ-11 cable, so the SPI isn't actually needed, and the LCD status indicator is nice to have, but not necessary.

No way to install the LCD internally in a Mac anyway. ;) :p

3. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.... Very Interesting,
    I just like to know what those little things do. Thanks alot!

Yeah, i scanned through it's documentary and found nothing,
    even used some search engine... So, one can only assume it's for hardware testing and/or monitoring?

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

No Problem. :) :cool:
    Simple, but accurate understanding. ;)

The data passed on these interfaces can make it really easy to determine if everything is running as it should, and diagnose a problem if it isn't. Additional data can be passed as well, especially from enclosures, as not all data may be able to go through the drive interface, particularly SATA.

In the case of the HDElement, the RJ-11 is used to pass the enclosure data, and the drive cable handles the drive status (SMART) data.

5. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

RJ-11?

There's no RJ-11 on the CalDigit RaidCard.
    There is however, what appears to be a mini jack on the backplane.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

IIRC, they were using RJ-11 (phone jack) to connect the HDElement to the RAID card.

I just took a look on their site, and there's something else there. Looks like a mono or stereo (2.5mm?) plug now. :confused:

So this what you have on yours?

7. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yup!!

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Did they include the cable, or is it a separate purchase?
    How many conductors?

9. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Apparently, according to my supplier, this cable comes with the HDElement, along with the Mini SAS Cable... but how accurate the information is, is anyone's guess.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

In this case, I think the info is reliable. :)
    At least it was not too long ago, according to a friend that bought one. ;)
    Issues caused it to be returned though, as the array was spanned between internal and external drives. Way too unstable, and kept dropping the array. Irrecoverable, and happened frequently. :eek:

Also keep in mind, Hitachi won't help you if there's ever a firmware issue with their drives. They won't release firmware. Period. :mad:

11. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ah, thanks for the tip :) but I make a effort to avoid every single Hitachi branded HD like the plague! To date every single one of their drives I've ever owned had a very short life then suffered a miserable death, taking my data with it!! :mad::mad::mad: If I ever purchase a HDelement, it'll be the smallest unit and the first thing I'd do is replace the default drives with something I'd trust.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

I agree whole-heartedly with your assessment of Hitachi. ;) Junk. :p

Seagate's recent attitude with firmware is also leaving a bad taste in my mouth. :rolleyes: Their enterprise (includes SAS) drives are still good, but the consumer line is suffering lately. :(

WD is better on their consumer units these days, and their performance is good as well. Though not as good as they over-exaggerate...err... claim. ;) :p I go to review sites like Tom's or AnandTech for real data.

13. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Upgrade the firmware...

suddenly the card allows the mac to sleep.. woot!!

for anyone interested.. here's what i'm using.
    firmware available on caldigit's website.

Attached Files:

14. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

hey, you are right!! Now my MAC PRO actually sleeps!!! Yeah! Thanks for the heads-up :)