RE: Checking Screen Manufacturer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aboo, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys,

After numerous contemplations, I finally decided to get the MBP 2.4 Ghz unibody. The machine arrived yesterday and so far, I am quite happy with out (apart from a few minor issues). I do have one question though. Is there anyway to find out the screen manufacturer for the MBP (either by trying to find a part number or otherwise?)

Thanks in advance!

2. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Go into system preferences, displays, click the color tab, then click the open profile button on the right side, then scroll down to number 13 and click that and look at the model number. If it says 9c84 it's made by LG and if it says 9c85 it's made by chi mei (sorry if that's spelled wrong).

3. Aboo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Crash,

Thanks for the advice. It says 9c84 so I guess this is an LG screen. In the past I have had very bad experience with Chei Mei screens. Are Chei Mei screens in the MBP considered "inferior" (used loosely) to the LG ones?

Thanks once again!

4. Crash1234 macrumors regular

I don't think the chi meis on the mbps are concidered inferior. I think that's pretty much up in the air at the moment. It seems that both screens are equally good, although some prefer the 84 and some prefer the 85. I've personally seen more 84 screens that have bad light bleed issues but that could just be anecdotal. But yeah, I think there are good and bad panels of each screen type but both are good overall.

5. dogg macrumors regular

dogg

Going on to my third 85 screen, which have all had bad light bleed.

Looks like a crapshoot.

6. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me, only with 84 screens. Maybe all the screens just suck. lol

7. Aboo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info. My screen just really looks fuzzy (as if there is some sort of EM intereference). The only thing is that if it was EM interference, I would notice it in my other monitors or notebooks and I don't see anything at all.